Internal exhaust flapper replacement question and advice please >

Internal exhaust flapper replacement question and advice please

Notices

Internal exhaust flapper replacement question and advice please

Old 04-29-2015, 11:33 AM
Registered

Received 133 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain
May just be easier to replace them with what is there. Don't see these going bad that much. Mine are original and still good. (just checked).

I would however suggest you pull the diverters off and look at the condition of the y-pipe flappers. Those seem to go out and the flapper will fall down into the lower cavity of the y-pipe. Have seen pics of some that had done this and were left in long enough the steel bounced around enough to wear the y-pipe thru from the inside. Not a good thing to happen! If you raise your drive fully up, you can look inside the exhaust bellows and see the broken flapper ears laying inside the y-pipe, if you have the boot style bellows, vs the accordion style. Either way, can pretty much guarantee yours are broken/missing if never replaced
Update:

I ordered these for my "missing" internal flappers as suggested earlier

http://teaguecustommarine.com/em0011...pper-assy.html

I initially installed two of them then realized they were in backwards (one side is beveled that rides up against the side of the tip when installed) Since I had none in place before it was an easy mistake to make since there was nothing to compare them to and I didn't inspect them for fitment....oops! Unfortunately I had already put the entire exhaust system back together already and really didn't want to take it all apart again. I douched the inside of the tips and the flappers from the outside and I was able to reach up in there with my arm and "flip" them in the proper direction but it was quite hard. Boy do I feel stupid!

Per US1's advise I also inspected my "lower" Y pipe flappers in the silent choice system....YEP three of them were completely gone and were just the rods of the "old" style sitting there! One of them however was the "new" style and was still intact so I left it alone. Thanks again for the tip US1!

It sure adds peace of mind knowing everything is replaced and how it should be now and I am lucky to have caught this before I sucked a bunch of water in!

One thing worth noting however, after I fired the engines up I noticed a lot less water coming out of the tips (like before) when the exhaust was set to "open". The bulk of it is now running out the bottom of the transom exhaust ports at idle. Maybe because there is now flappers everywhere or maybe the water output is different between the cast OE exhaust and the Stainless Marine I used as replacements. Not quite sure...

Again, a BIG thanks to everyone that responded to this thread you all were very helpful in your advise and information!

Dave
Old 05-04-2015, 07:13 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Reading all of this prompted me to go look at mine. I have the internal flappers and the external rubber. One of the internal flappers is missing. Is this redundant having both? Should I go through the time to replace both internal flappers?
Old 05-04-2015, 10:36 PM
Registered

I wondered the same but I assume that they put them in there for a reason so I replaced them. Better safe than sorry! My boat sits real low in the back so I felt it was important. Also if you have silent choice as stated above, pull it all apart and check the flappers in the top of the "Y" pipes too. You might as well replace the other one too.. you know how Murphy's law works lol.
Old 05-12-2015, 08:22 PM
Registered

How did the replacement go? What did you have to do to get the new ones installed?
Old 05-14-2015, 12:55 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by kevinb230
How did the replacement go? What did you have to do to get the new ones installed?
Replacement went well. The Y pipe ones were the easiest they just snapped in place and as stated above were a new design and look like they will last longer. The hardest part about that was getting the boots clamped in the proper places again so they don't leak. I would scribe some marks on them and make sure they go back in the proper places. Mine have a little "bend" in them which I did not realize until reassembly which made it little harder to reposition them properly since all four were mixed up.

For the internal flappers I was replacing the manifolds and risers so I had everything apart already. I think In order to do the job you would have to either remove the risers and hoses to get to the flappers from the inside of the engine bay or remove the tips themselves and leave the risers etc. intact. (at least on mine anyways). At the point I replaced the flappers in the tips, I still had the tips in the boat but removed them later to check for rot in the transom. I used two pairs of vice grips, one on the pin the flapper "hinges" on and one on one of the little press on brass fittings (one vice grip clamped tightly on each) I sprayed some PB Blaster and let them soak for a while and then twisted them with the vise grips until I broke them free so I could "twist" them fairly easily. I then left the pair of vise grips on the pin and just tapped on the clamped on vise grip with a hammer until the pin came free of the press on brass fitting. I suppose they could also be cut off with a Dremel as well but I had blown mine up earlier in the day. I then used a very large pair of Channel lock pliers to press the new flappers and fittings together in the exhaust tip. Be careful with the press on brass fittings, I actually dropped one down in the bilge and searched for an hour before giving up and calling Teague for a replacement. Teague BTW is AWESOME and dropped a couple in the mail for me the next day at no charge! After that service I will definately shop there in the future!
Old 05-14-2015, 09:31 AM
Registered

Received 66 Likes on 38 Posts

I think those little brass fittings are a pain in the azz. I never experienced such a wrestling match with something so small and simple. Teague really is a good place though; they know their stuff, have good service and competitive pricing. Actually, their exhaust tips are the best bargain going anywhere. I just wish they offered the 4" tip with the external flapper option like the 4.5" tip. As I get older, the less time spent in the bilge the better.
Old 05-14-2015, 11:51 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by liquidlounge
I think those little brass fittings are a pain in the azz. I never experienced such a wrestling match with something so small and simple. Teague really is a good place though; they know their stuff, have good service and competitive pricing. Actually, their exhaust tips are the best bargain going anywhere. I just wish they offered the 4" tip with the external flapper option like the 4.5" tip. As I get older, the less time spent in the bilge the better.
Yes especially if you lose one! I may be dreaming but the next boat I get will hopefully be a full stagger one! More room lol!
Old 06-24-2015, 07:47 PM
Registered

Update:

Had an issue with overheating one engine due impeller and plastic housing failure... go figure. Replaced with stainless Hardin units on both engines and all good now. Checked the internal flappers and they were ok and ran it the next day. When I came home and checked internal flappers on that engine again and guess what... burned out again!! UGH! When I called Teague to order some replacements I was informed the "Teague" logos point "inward" (to the front of the boat) which I thought to be incorrect in my previous posts, so I had them installed backwards apparently! Unfortunately they are backordered so I won't have them for a week or two it sounds like. Hopefully this will not be an issue since we will be using the boat... I am also going to flip the other engines still intact flappers the correct direction which Teague says they need to be in and hopefully that will save them from the same fate. I wish I would have known this previous but all of mine were of course burned out so I had no reference and the new ones did not come with instructions. We will see if the next sets last!

Last edited by Diamond Dave; 06-24-2015 at 07:54 PM.
Old 06-25-2015, 12:11 PM
Registered

Keep us updated
Old 06-26-2015, 07:50 AM
Charter Member#157
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

anyone have a part number and vendor for the Y-pipe internal flappers?
I have not looked, but after 15 years I am assuming mine might need some help since I have replaced the tip ones a couple times already
Planning on opening up this weekend to have a look

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.