Internal exhaust flapper replacement question and advice please >

Internal exhaust flapper replacement question and advice please

Notices

Internal exhaust flapper replacement question and advice please

Old 02-11-2015, 01:47 AM
Registered

Received 133 Likes on 61 Posts
Default Internal exhaust flapper replacement question and advice please

My 32 Fountain fever has the external ugly "salisbury" style exhaust tip flappers on 4" exhaust tips that are OE. My engines are stock 502 EFI and I have "silent choice".

I decided to have a peek up inside the exhaust pipes and this is what I found inside three of them:

Obviously the internal "rubber flapper" is missing from the rod in this pic. Three of my exhaust pipes are this way...

The fouth one looks like this and is missing half of the flapper:

My question is what should I do for a replacement? I understand these "burn out" somewhat frequently? I do not like the idea of ripping the exhaust apart all the time for their replacement if it's just going to happen again. I saw these Hardin units on CP's website that look interesting and was wondering if anyone had any experience with them? They look to be heavier duty, easy to install, do not require any welding and have serviceable parts should there be a problem:

http://www.cpperformance.com/p-22464...ess-steel.aspx

They are appealing since I do not have to worry about taking the tips off the boat and taking them apart and resealing the transom everytime. UNLESS the OE units can be easily serviced from inside the engine bay (no tip removal) I would not like to simply replace the OE flappers with "new" OE ones if this makes sense?

Fountain 32 Fevers sit low in the back and are exposed to more water in that area for those unfamiliar. For this reason I feel having the external AND internal flapper is a good idea. I wouldn't think the boat would have come from the factory with both internal and external flappers unless they were needed. Since I am a new owner I am only working on assumptions however... please correct me if I am wrong.

If anyone has any better solutions or advise please let me know as I am looking for a more permanent fix if there is such a thing....

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Diamond Dave; 02-11-2015 at 01:51 AM.
Old 02-11-2015, 06:25 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a very easy solution for you.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]536850[/ATTACH]

It is a stainless flapper carriage. It is an insert that installs from the outside and slides inside the exhaust tip and then screws to the side of the exhaust tip. All you need to do is drill two small holes in the tip. I have them on my boat.

Now the only problem is that Dana Marine was the only company that made them and they're out of business but you're in luck. I just got brand new dry tailpipes and I can no longer use these on my back two engines, so I would sell you four of them for $200 plus the ride.. PM me if you're interested...

PS. this is a picture of an old one before I replaced them last year. The ones I have on the boat are in much better shape. If you are interested, I will take one out of the exhaust tip and take some better pictures..
Attached Thumbnails Internal exhaust flapper replacement question and advice please-image.jpg  

Last edited by HyFive578; 02-11-2015 at 06:31 AM.
Old 02-11-2015, 06:37 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

i am surprised nobody makes a flapper you can slip inside the exhaust hose in front of the exhaust tips...
Old 02-11-2015, 06:39 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by dereknkathy
i am surprised nobody makes a flapper you can slip inside the exhaust hose in front of the exhaust tips...
They do.. that is what the OP posted a link about. I've heard mixed things about those.. I've heard that they bang around like crazy..
Old 02-11-2015, 10:13 AM
Registered

I dont mean the built-in one but maybe a 2 inch long piece of fiberglass pipe with holes you could mount a flapper in. Then slide it into the hose in front of the exh tip. And flapper would be hitting non-metal surface so it wont sound like a rod knock at idle.
Old 02-11-2015, 11:29 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by HyFive578
They do.. that is what the OP posted a link about. I've heard mixed things about those.. I've heard that they bang around like crazy..
Do you mean the rubber flap makes lots of noise?
Old 02-11-2015, 12:37 PM
Registered

No the metal flap inside the metal exhaust tip bangs shut constantly at idle...
Old 02-11-2015, 12:40 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by dereknkathy
No the metal flap inside the metal exhaust tip bangs shut constantly at idle...
There is no metal flap in the ones I posted and was questioning that's why it didn't make sense...

Old 02-11-2015, 04:39 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Diamond Dave
There is no metal flap in the ones I posted and was questioning that's why it didn't make sense...

There is a rubber flap fastened to a steel hinge that lets the flapper open and close. That hinge bangs against the assembly its connected to. Any flapper thats inside the pipe is going to make some noise. Can't see how you can avoid it and still make something that will survive. They're advertised as "silent", I don't think thats true.
Old 02-11-2015, 06:50 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Diamond Dave
that is much like i was picturing. only the one i am designing in my head is the same size as the stainless tip and would sit just in front of the tip instead of sliding over and mounting on the tip. the one problem with the hardin design is it is a little bigger OD so the hose will have a hard time slipping over it. although i like that is is a salisbury style flaps shut instead of a lever style that doesn't seal as well, but is a little less restrictive...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.