Mercruiser 454 Mag / EFI 385 HP KNOCKING NOISE >

Mercruiser 454 Mag / EFI 385 HP KNOCKING NOISE

Notices

Mercruiser 454 Mag / EFI 385 HP KNOCKING NOISE

Old 05-06-2015, 12:50 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

If one of those non adjustable rockers is out of spec that much, you've either got a bad cam lobe, bad lifter or bent pushrod.
Old 05-06-2015, 07:52 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Quick2500
1. If something wore/moved to the point that the rockets are loose, they are the least of your worries
2. Trying to band-aid one problem by modifying something else is begging for catastrophic destruction

Bar the motor over by hand, when one valve on a cylinder is fully open, grab the rocker on the other and see if it's loose, it should not rattle. When you find the one(s) that are loose, check the pushrod for straightness and check the rocker to see if it's bent, make sure the pivot bolt isn't pulling out of the head. If all that is good you need to check the cam lobe for wear and the lifter.
Thanks for the heads up guys. I had to take the boat back to storage yesterday due to parking accommodation on my driveway.

..where do I find the stamp that says the year of this engine. it's a mercruiser 454 mag/efi 385hp

I'll also like to know what's the torque specs for the rocker bolts. I would need to torque the rocker bolts back down after checking the push rods and rockers.How do I check the lifters? Could they be removed with a magnet?
I'll have to look in on the rocker pivot kit to make them adjustable.
Old 05-06-2015, 10:24 AM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

40 lb. ft. (54 N·m)

Merc manual 23 pg 3A-4, Online manual 208

Also
5. Install push rods and rocker arm assemblies in their original positions. Coat threads on
rocker arm bolt with Perfect Seal. Torque to 40 lb-ft (54 Nm). page : 3A-40.

How ever it seems high ???
Old 05-06-2015, 11:33 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by man-of-war
Thanks for the heads up guys. I had to take the boat back to storage yesterday due to parking accommodation on my driveway.

..where do I find the stamp that says the year of this engine. it's a mercruiser 454 mag/efi 385hp

I'll also like to know what's the torque specs for the rocker bolts. I would need to torque the rocker bolts back down after checking the push rods and rockers.How do I check the lifters? Could they be removed with a magnet?
I'll have to look in on the rocker pivot kit to make them adjustable.
Intake manifold has to come off to pull lifters on a BBC. If you have a cam lobe going flat or a lifter dying, there may be shavings and debris in the oil filter. If it is a simple matter of a hydraulic lifter pumping down, then there will probably not be any stuff in the oil filter. I would convert to the adjustable rocker arms as I think griff suggested - stamped steel rocker arms should be just fine with a stock cam. Then if you still can't get a particular valve to stay in adjustment, you probably have a bad lifter or cam lobe. But the stock hardware should not need to be fooled with like this - GM went to the non-adjustable rockers to save assembly time and tinkering on long haul motors that are supposed to hundreds of thousands of miles. I am concerned that you have a bad lifter or two. Check for broken valve springs as well. Has this engine ever overheated?
Old 05-06-2015, 11:36 AM
Registered

Hey 92nsx, The MAN-OF-WAR is still holding up.
I went from 58 MPH to 70 MPH by removing the inner strikes & hooks.I need to give the Bravo 24
pitch prop a second chance I dont think I trimmed it corectly when I was prop testing I'm sure I could have gotten 71mph.
I am quite intrigued that you gained 13 MPH by removing inner strakes and hooks on that hull. I had the little hooks removed on my 88 Force 235 and only gained a little more porpoising. That must have been one helluva hook!
Old 05-06-2015, 11:40 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Budman II
I am quite intrigued that you gained 13 MPH by removing inner strakes and hooks on that hull. I had the little hooks removed on my 88 Force 235 and only gained a little more porpoising. That must have been one helluva hook!
I'm intrigued, too. My immediate thoughts were removing lifting strakes would increase wetted surface and drag, maybe the hook was exaggerated by poor support from the trailer?
Old 05-06-2015, 01:20 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Budman II
I was waiting for you guys to bring up the 13 mph gain..lol
the reason the inner strakes and hooks were removed was to sink the back end to rais the bow.
I also raised the x dimension / outdrive 3'' which allowed me to run with a bigger prop.

hooks and strakes removed
Old 05-06-2015, 03:31 PM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Man of war has done a TON of work/mods to his Baja Force!. Still amazes me today what he all did!

His thread was one of the first ones I went post by post threw. (most deleted). Then, threw google to find his photo's of the work when i was buying my DVX (same hull) 4 years ago.

Great job on the boat by the way.
Old 05-06-2015, 03:58 PM
Registered

I was waiting for you guys to bring up the 13 mph gain..lol
the reason the inner strakes and hooks were removed was to sink the back end to rais the bow.
I also raised the x dimension / outdrive 3'' which allowed me to run with a bigger prop.
Interesting! Did you do both modifications at the same time, or were they done in stages so you could know how much of the speed increase can be attributed to the strake/hook removal, and how much was due to the raised x-dim. I suspect raising the drive up higher would have a bigger effect on speed. You are right about wanting to get the bow out of the water - that's the big issue on my 235 as well. The bow is damn near glued to the water (of course, that might have something to do with all the crap in the cuddy ) I can only imagine how much of an issue it would be with 3 more feet of hull in the water and a single engine.
Old 05-07-2015, 05:47 AM
Registered

It would have been intresting to see which mod gained more mph.

before

To me raising the drive played a big roll with the speed gain.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.