Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
Please help.First ride of year.Ran boat 15 miles backed off for no wake dropped motor >

Please help.First ride of year.Ran boat 15 miles backed off for no wake dropped motor

Notices

Please help.First ride of year.Ran boat 15 miles backed off for no wake dropped motor

Old 05-18-2015, 08:28 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help.First ride of year.Ran boat 15 miles backed off for no wake dropped motor

I got my boat out friday from storage. charged batterys on shore power friday night and saturday. Boat started fine for Sundays ride. Went approx 15 miles at 4,000 rpm came up to a no wake and starboard side motor dropped, Went to re fire it and it took out my port side. was able to get my port side to fire back up and every time I went to fire my starboard it want to take out my port side again. Got back to rack on one. After trying to get the starboard to start back up multiple times, I now turn the key and you can hear the starter just free spinning. So guessing I;m sure I trashed the starter. Any idea why starboard dropped in the first place? Bad batteries? (ran cables and linked both batteries and also tried jumping off generator battery and that didn't help). I would think if it was batteries it wouldn't have started fine at the start of the day? My other thought was possibly bad alternator. Any help would be great. Thank you
Old 05-18-2015, 08:29 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Motors are the 500 merc carb motors if that makes a difference.
Old 05-19-2015, 06:47 AM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why did your starboard engine die in the first place? Plugged fuel filter? Your saying that it wouldn't crank or would crank but not fire? did you check your oil level after it died? I wonder if you ingested water when you came off plane and it hydrlocked.
Old 05-19-2015, 07:39 AM
coolrunning racing
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Well there is a lot of missing information to give an accurate diagnosis, but with the info provided I would look into the battery and charging system on the starboard engine. Test the batteries. Do not trust the battery switch either with out testing it. Now if the voltage draw was so great that it pulled down a idling engine than you may have ingested water in the starboard engine. Can you also be more specific with the maintenance (winterizing & summerizing) and symptoms (noises,oil color,odors ect.)
Old 05-19-2015, 09:09 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No doubt that motor is hydro locked. You spun the starter gear trying to refire a locked motor. Once you get the rest figured out consider going back with the Mallory starter vs Merc unit. Mallory have a better gear in them and a better warranty for less cash.