Notices

Cutting Fiberglas

Old 05-23-2015, 08:25 PM
RIPSTA Racing Team
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cutting Fiberglas

I have to do some mods on my engine hatch. I want to cut the outside boarder off of my existing hatch which is fiberglass layered up about 1/2" thick. Then I want to bond this boarder to a Skater hatch which I am not sure of the material but it's light. My questions are, what's the best way to cut the fiberglass hatch and what should I use for the bonding? My existing hatch has a hugh custom hump in it rendering it useless. I want to cut the hump off and make it flat for a pad.
Old 05-27-2015, 07:39 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fireboatpilot
I have to do some mods on my engine hatch. I want to cut the outside boarder off of my existing hatch which is fiberglass layered up about 1/2" thick. Then I want to bond this boarder to a Skater hatch which I am not sure of the material but it's light. My questions are, what's the best way to cut the fiberglass hatch and what should I use for the bonding? My existing hatch has a hugh custom hump in it rendering it useless. I want to cut the hump off and make it flat for a pad.
Sabre saw, Saws all or diegrinder. Then use fiberglass matt or cloth to splice it. You must either sand or grind anything you bond together or the resin will not stick
Old 05-27-2015, 09:13 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

One great way is an oscillating multi tool, go buy one, even a cheap one. Sonicrafter comes to mind but I bought a ridged. They dont chip the gel like a sawzal and dont throw dust like a die grinder.

BTW, they are very similar to the tools used to cut fiberglass casts of, in fact I cut my cast off with one. It will not cut your skin.
Old 05-27-2015, 10:19 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JRider
One great way is an oscillating multi tool, go buy one, even a cheap one. Sonicrafter comes to mind but I bought a ridged. They dont chip the gel like a sawzal and dont throw dust like a die grinder.

BTW, they are very similar to the tools used to cut fiberglass casts of, in fact I cut my cast off with one. It will not cut your skin.
Got a link?
Old 05-27-2015, 10:42 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.harborfreight.com/variabl...ool-61219.html
Old 05-27-2015, 11:25 AM
Gold Member

use a die grinder and abrasive cut-off disc.you can sorce them local cheap,,,,,,,yea,it makes dust,and requires a steddy hand but leave a decent cut with a minimal of prep to the finished product.
Old 05-27-2015, 06:52 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Ayuh,..... For fairly long cuts, I've used a gas hand held demo-saw, Many times,....

Old 05-28-2015, 09:49 AM
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Bondo
Ayuh,..... For fairly long cuts, I've used a gas hand held demo-saw, Many times,....

that will get er done son
Old 05-29-2015, 04:44 PM
Registered

Received 1,490 Likes on 805 Posts

Ive done a bunch of cutting on my 32 deck project from small cuts to very lengthy ones. Just used a combination btwn the jig/sabre saw and sawzall. Both have worked fine for any cuts I've had and I've had several on this project.
Attached Thumbnails Cutting Fiberglas-image.jpg  
Old 05-29-2015, 05:34 PM
Registered

Received 317 Likes on 174 Posts

I have used a roto zip in the past and had planned on using one for cutting the gunnel for my new cleats. Do the multi tools work better?

Padraig

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.