water pressure gauge install >

water pressure gauge install

Notices

water pressure gauge install

Old 05-26-2015, 05:37 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default water pressure gauge install

i have a 312 fastech w/stock 502's and I am going to be installing water pressure gauges because of an issue over the weekend. this was the first time out this year after all the yearly maintenence, including new seawater pumps. We cruised for about 45 min and here are the things I've noticed. one temp gauges would not work the other one was sporadic, the port tach when I was around 4300 would spike to about 6500. as soon as I backed off a couple of hundred rpms it would stay true. When we got to where we were going I checked the temp gauge wires and found one that was unplugged and the other was fine. On the way back, the port temp gauge still wouldn't work and the starboard was sporadic. I dropped my wife and kid off at dock wifeand kid off at the dock and while waiting on the truck I wanted to open her up a little bit. So I ran it for about 10 min and my alarms started going off. Starboard temp gauge was buried and as soon as I looked down I lost oil preassure. Shut the motor down and put it on the trailer. The gauge was telling the truth becuase I could smell it and opened the hatch and couldnt touch the risers. I put a mechanical gauge on to test oil pressure and it was good (40 psi) at idle. Haven't been able to check water pressure because I don't know where to hook the Gauge up. Does anyone have any thoughts?
Old 05-26-2015, 10:00 AM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Mine are in the block drain plug location.
Old 05-26-2015, 12:32 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One boat has them in the block drain, other boat has it off the intake manifold (if your stock 502 has a bung there, it may not)
Old 05-26-2015, 06:07 PM
Registered

I moved mine from the block to the intake. The ones in the block would clog very easy.
Old 05-27-2015, 01:32 PM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I did the block drain on my old boat. probably the easiest gauge I ever installed and also the most reliable and helpful from an information standpoint.
Old 05-27-2015, 03:52 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by the mayor
I moved mine from the block to the intake. The ones in the block would clog very easy.
Yes, they do. I blow mine out annually as part of my winterizing process.

All gauges are important, but IMO you need 9 at minimum.

Oil temp/press
water temp/press
speedo
tach
volts
fuel level/press
Old 05-29-2015, 04:53 PM
Registered

Received 1,489 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by 1 MAIDEN AMERICA
Mine are in the block drain plug location.
Same here. I put tees in on each side and have water pressure gauge on one side and temp sender on the other side.

The other port of each tee is plumbed to 6 AN hose that is joined with a coupler up near the water neck for draining/flushing the blocks when I need without hassle.
Old 05-29-2015, 04:56 PM
Registered

Received 1,489 Likes on 805 Posts

Btw I know I volunteered a little more info than asked but just wanted to add that set up works awesome.