Notices

5.7 motor problems

Old 06-19-2015, 05:32 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Today I had some time to look at the motor again. I re checked compression in some of the cylinders #6 stayed the same at around 150 the others were even higher than before in the 240 range so I stopped testing. I think I mentioned before that I put marvel mystery oIL in each cylinder so I'm guessing that's causing the high numbers although I cranked the engine over several times before testing. I also did a leak down test on all cylinders here is what I found. #1 19% leaking through exhaust and rings #2 15% rings #3 30% rings/exhaust #4 18% rings/exhaust #5 25% oil/exhaust #6 55% exhaust #7 22% exhaust/rings #8 25% rings/exhaust. Im guessing with these results the heads need to be replaced?
Old 06-20-2015, 07:05 AM
Registered

It might just need a valve job, but you won't know until the valves are removed.
Old 07-01-2015, 06:41 PM
Registered

So a little update. I tore the engine apart and brought the heads to machine shop just waiting for an update and repair. I have everything cleaned and prepped to go back together but I'm a little unsure on the assembly. basically I'm looking for the torque#s and sequence of the heads and intake, adjusting the valves and possibly retiming the engine.
Old 07-02-2015, 07:35 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Was the exhaust seat in your comprimised cylinder corroded? And did you figure out the high compression test readings ? Prob want to find out what is going on before you have a exhaust valve head detach and bee bop around inside your motor
Old 07-02-2015, 11:13 AM
Registered

I'm not sure why the compression was so high the first time. the second time I had put mystery oil in each cylinder so that gave me a false reading. The heads were repaired I will be picking them up today. I was told that they were pretty bad but not sure what they repaired. I just hope this solves the reversion problem I've been having.
Old 07-06-2015, 10:34 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Im thinking you would have to pour mystery oil down the neck of your compression testor while your doing your test to achieve 240 on a contemporary marine engine. If reversion cooked your exhaust valves , and those boys slapped some low shelf valves in now , your not out of the woods yet