Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
Need to add fuel booster pump for 454 mag mpi, what psi? >

Need to add fuel booster pump for 454 mag mpi, what psi?

Notices

Need to add fuel booster pump for 454 mag mpi, what psi?

Old 07-18-2015, 07:50 PM
Registered

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by SB
Okay people, answer me a question - the Merc electric 'boost a pump' is before the fuel water seperator right ?
Correct.....

Adds fuel filter in front of booster (to prevent trash from going into that pump) then into normal fitting into filter head.

So thats exactly what I added, just not mer parts. I had purchased the merc kit on my 25ol so I was familiar with what it came with.

Last edited by nailit; 07-18-2015 at 07:59 PM.
Old 07-19-2015, 02:17 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

The Merc set up uses a 100 micron inline metal canister fuel filter before the boost pump. In the link below its on the left in the middle. Actually this Merc filter is not worth a crap. They even come bad right out of the box.

http://www.fidibuy.com/product/detai...7-502-Mag-MPI?

Last edited by BUP; 07-19-2015 at 02:21 AM.
Old 07-19-2015, 06:11 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,110 Likes on 1,401 Posts

Reason I asked, is for those going to a an aftmkt efi pump, install that befor the fuel waterseperator and thus no booster pump needed ?

Pre filter before pump, pump as low as possible, up to seperator/filter than up to the fuel rails.

I was doing that many years ago when changing factory system over to performance set ups and returning to the tank. Worked great.

Oh, people gave me crap about pump before seperator / filter, but look at the fix now....booster pump before filter / seperator.
Old 07-19-2015, 10:53 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by BUP
The Merc set up uses a 100 micron inline metal canister fuel filter before the boost pump. In the link below its on the left in the middle. Actually this Merc filter is not worth a crap. They even come bad right out of the box.

http://www.fidibuy.com/product/detai...7-502-Mag-MPI?
That would make sense, my pump was stuck after the first year after sitting for 2 months. I lil tap got it started though.
Old 07-19-2015, 10:56 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by SB
Reason I asked, is for those going to a an aftmkt efi pump, install that befor the fuel waterseperator and thus no booster pump needed ?

Pre filter before pump, pump as low as possible, up to seperator/filter than up to the fuel rails.

I was doing that many years ago when changing factory system over to performance set ups and returning to the tank. Worked great.

Oh, people gave me crap about pump before seperator / filter, but look at the fix now....booster pump before filter / seperator.
Sure, you could probably do that, IF you pull the motors and get a high pressure pump for the EFI. Adding the low pressure booster is cost effective considering you dont have to pull the motor and remove the cool fuel system.
Old 03-18-2019, 06:18 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What did you do with the clear vapor recovery hose shown in your photos? i think the Holley manual says to tie it into a vacuum source on the engine.