Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
Sea Water pump rebuild. The bearing side, not the pump side. >

Sea Water pump rebuild. The bearing side, not the pump side.

Notices

Sea Water pump rebuild. The bearing side, not the pump side.

Old 08-16-2015, 09:13 PM
Registered

Received 36 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Sea Water pump rebuild. The bearing side, not the pump side.

I noticed a rusty drip mark under my sea pump. Today while boating, my seawater pump started leaking out the front area. It was leaking from the front seal. I think the sea water it going past the inner seal, through the bearings and out the front seal or a weep hole. I could not find a thread on rebuilding the front half. I want to replace the bearings and seals. How do you get the pulley hub off? Pump is a 46-807151A12 with 4 bolts holding the pulley on. Thanks
Old 08-17-2015, 12:22 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

I did the same thing last summer, although the details are a bit hazy at this point. Big block chevy? I could scan the relevant pages of the shop manual if you like. BTW I recommend Amarket marine for the bearing rebuild kit, its cost peanuts and they are a good resource for advice when needed.
Old 08-17-2015, 06:07 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

The pulley will come off after removing the 4 bolts. Its been a while since I rebuilt them. I believe you have to pry out the front seal, to access a snap ring. Then remove that, and slide out the shaft, which will have the bearings pressed onto it. Hardest part is getting the bearings off the shaft. Other than that, its straightforward. I can try to dig out the seal numbers later. I have them somewhere. its all common seals and bearings you can get from SKF
Old 08-17-2015, 02:36 PM
Registered

Received 36 Likes on 9 Posts

I went to a local bearing supply house. Everything in stock. New seals and bearings $20. I put a new impeller in too. For $85 everything that wears is new.
Old 08-17-2015, 03:32 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yup, you got it. I just rent the puller from O'Reilly.
Old 08-17-2015, 04:06 PM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 947 Likes on 476 Posts

Depending on the style of pump.....you will either have to get a pulley puller...or have a press to get the mounting hub off the shaft....then there is a seal you pop out with a flat head screw driver....then there's an C-clip holding the bearing/shaft assembly in place..... if you do a search on rebuilding the sea water pump there is a pictorial posted by a member here somewhere.

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!