MEFI Burn Tuning for idle. >

MEFI Burn Tuning for idle.

Notices

MEFI Burn Tuning for idle.

Old 09-04-2015, 01:26 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Do not know the ignition set up but completely stock ignition will be another problem 5800 rpms and above.

These IACs the older ones that go by counts do not react that fast either. What was IAC counts again at idle, below 10 is this correct ?
Old 09-04-2015, 01:58 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Griff
Stock marine 502efi other than that cam they spec'd????
Sorry but they are way off and the cam has too much duration.
I am going to work on it more this weekend. If I can get a fully loaded 38 Powerquest to go 75mph with 502 MPI motors, that has 3/4 tank of fuel, full fresh water, waste water, gen, ac, hot water, standard bravos, I think the cams are just about perfect, and I haven't even gave it more timing up top yet, just running 87 octane. I want to soon log my MAP and see how bad even my throttle body and factory air filters are holding me up. This or that, its not about it being a too big of a cam, its about getting the thing to idle right using a MEFI, lets all learn from that instead

I have the map adjusted to give it quite a bit more fuel in the higher KPA when it does drop into gear, and you are correct that the MEFI does have a PID loop control for timing to stabilize the idle.

This weekend, I will get some screen shots of my maps, and I will take a quick datalog to see what more is going on. Currently in gear, my AFR is around 13:1 or so, and out of gear, about 15:1.
Old 09-04-2015, 01:59 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BUP
Do not know the ignition set up but completely stock ignition will be another problem 5800 rpms and above.

These IACs the older ones that go by counts do not react that fast either. What was IAC counts again at idle, below 10 is this correct ?
Yes, it is a stepper and not a valve, and the counts are below 10.
Old 09-04-2015, 05:49 PM
Registered

Received 110 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Br1dgemann
If you are using MEFI Burn, the software has the ability to data log and play back. Have you done this to see if you can confirm the cell jump or is the MEFI 1 update rate too slow?

Also, as SB stated, the MPI Mag intake will give up the ghost in the mid-5000 rpm range, so your cam may not ultimately be a good match for it... assuming you can get this Idle issue worked out.
If he's 60ish kPa and in gear it swings to 80ish kPa it's moving several cells. Logging may be problematic because the data rate is relatively slow on MEFI 1s so catching fast transients can be an issue.
Old 09-04-2015, 05:51 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Pliant
Go to page 11 it looks like you may be able to rewrite from mefi 1 to 2 which i presume does have timing table's. It depends on which module you have...hmm i believe 2 has timing table's

https://www.mdmotors.ru/netcat_files...MPI__alb_3.pdf
MEFI 1 has timing tables. All of it can be adjusted. No need to switch to MEFI 2 in my opinion.
Old 09-04-2015, 05:54 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Baldie
I am going to work on it more this weekend. If I can get a fully loaded 38 Powerquest to go 75mph with 502 MPI motors, that has 3/4 tank of fuel, full fresh water, waste water, gen, ac, hot water, standard bravos, I think the cams are just about perfect, and I haven't even gave it more timing up top yet, just running 87 octane. I want to soon log my MAP and see how bad even my throttle body and factory air filters are holding me up. This or that, its not about it being a too big of a cam, its about getting the thing to idle right using a MEFI, lets all learn from that instead

I have the map adjusted to give it quite a bit more fuel in the higher KPA when it does drop into gear, and you are correct that the MEFI does have a PID loop control for timing to stabilize the idle.

This weekend, I will get some screen shots of my maps, and I will take a quick datalog to see what more is going on. Currently in gear, my AFR is around 13:1 or so, and out of gear, about 15:1.
I've found that out of gear (no load neutral) AFRs approaching 15:1 tend to make the idle a little less stable. Trying bringing it down to 13.7-14.0:1, maybe richer and see what happens.
Old 09-04-2015, 09:26 PM
Registered

Then why not advance the start up say 18/23 degress and be done with it...... need to add a small a small slurp so be it. I have had a bit to much wine right now but but you guy;s who split hair's should know OS senors simply trim arfs nothing to do with real world apps.

Someone care to spell out the the real world overlap at .050. Good call Trash on timing tables honesty clears the converstaion

Last edited by Pliant; 09-04-2015 at 09:35 PM.
Old 09-04-2015, 10:38 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,110 Likes on 1,401 Posts

Originally Posted by Pliant

Someone care to spell out the the real world overlap at .050. Good call Trash on timing tables honesty clears the converstaion
31° overlap at .050" duration figures

As a comparison, the HP500 cam has 6° overlap at .050" duration figures

Last edited by SB; 09-04-2015 at 10:47 PM.
Old 09-05-2015, 12:19 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by SB
31° overlap at .050" duration figures

As a comparison, the HP500 cam has 6° overlap at .050" duration figures
Am i missing something here..

244,[email protected], 114 LSA.

244+254=498
498/4 = 124.5
124.5-114=10.5
10.5x2 =21 degrees @ .050

IF that's correct 21 that is......Is this tbi or mpi your going to need a lot of fuel at idle..Id call Marine Kinetics it seem's to my limited knowledge you not only need to change igniton timing but injector timing and pulse rate...Maybe a kicker motor to get that boat going.....
Old 09-16-2015, 06:47 PM
Registered

Update???