Notices

350 Carb to EFI questions

Old 09-08-2015, 08:04 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What I am saying is that shorter length, twin engine vessels with narrow beams may prove to be very challenging when the time comes to work on them. Even big-blocks vs small blocks will make a difference (Compare a Formula 272 SR1 with big blocks vs small blocks) when it comes time to work on them. Something as simple as a raw water impeller change on a bravo set-up will have you cursing up a storm while standing on your head.

Some manufacturers try to mitigate access issues with removable seats or partial seat attached to the engine hatch. You definitely need to visit every candidate in the field and see for yourself how much of a bear working on it will be as well as the overall condition. Pictures don't always tell the full truth.

Best of luck in your search. I hope you find something you will be happy with!
Old 09-08-2015, 11:30 AM
Registered

^Good point. This boat I found is through one of those online dealer leads... I don't understand why boat shopping isn't more like autotrader.com or alike. Boats have all these website. You send out a generic contact link and some yahoo emails you back pressuring you to look at the boat. No info nothing. what a joke.
Old 09-08-2015, 12:49 PM
Registered

Find an 87-89 272 SR1 with 320 EFI's.
SB size/weight, BB HP and bravo drives.

They are very hard to find but definitely run strong. Mine have ~650 hrs on them and still push the boat to 65+.
My boat may be for sale this spring but it will not be for 12k, will have new interior and power. Or buy as is for 14.
Old 09-08-2015, 02:23 PM
Registered

Jon01- They made EFI's in those years!!?? What kind of motors? 350's with EFI? Probably a TBI EFI system. I want two of my 5.3L SB's I have in my '14 Silverado. That engine is beyond sweet with Direct Injection... but it's a 2014. Not a 1990.

Last edited by FL335i; 09-08-2015 at 02:28 PM.
Old 09-08-2015, 03:13 PM
Registered

They are 350's - multi port injection, similar to the tuned port used on Corvette's and Camaro's of the era.
Very rare but very very cool motors and strong runners. Forged cranks, good rods, good pistons, roller cams, etc...

I have thought of LS swapping mine, still kicking it around but leaning back towards just refreshing these. They work and run strong and SBC parts are cheap.
If it does get swapped it will be a pair of 4" bore motors...just have to be careful to get it done right so as to not get too out of line with the boat's value.
All of the little things add up - closed cooling, exhaust, high capacity oil pans...and when doing twins you need 2 of everything...