Notices

Oils psi sending unit

Old 09-09-2015, 11:01 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oils psi sending unit

Unfortunately for me, my season has come to an end....not because of breakdowns, but people scheduling crap for the next 10 weekends in a row, so I figured I'd get a head start on some TLC for the Velocity.

My Oil Psi gauge has always been kinda flakey. Most of the time it works, but every now and again, it will either bounce around, or not even read anything. (bought chit myself the first time I noticed it read 0). Is there anything special to these, ie does it need to be Marine? Its a Carb'd 502 mag.

Trim gauge doesn't work, and again assuming its the sending unit on the drive. Where is the best place to buy?

Lastly, the last time out (last weekend) we were really hauling some azz, trying to get some seat time in her. Lake was pretty choppy, and were flat out moving.....I looked down and saw my Voltmeter was showing 11 (usually reads 13+) so assuming I have a bad battery, or alternator. I plan to check all the connections first, and then get the batteries checked, and the alternator, again, assuming its the alternator......where is the best place to find one?

Been awhile since I had to buy any parts.
Old 09-09-2015, 02:53 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just did my drive sensor..twice ! good deal of work, I put in a sierra one, was told just as good...mine was **** gauge all over the place..useless, changed to a merc, works fine now, so spend a few $$$ more on that
Old 09-09-2015, 03:57 PM
Registered

Where did you get it from? Yea, I only wanna do it once.
Old 09-09-2015, 06:04 PM
Registered

On the trim sender make sure the pivot pin didn't move and cause it to not read. For alternators I use dbelectical.com because of their price point. They seem to work well to, starters and alternators.
Old 09-10-2015, 12:26 AM
Registered

Received 143 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by ezstriper
just did my drive sensor..twice ! good deal of work, I put in a sierra one, was told just as good...mine was **** gauge all over the place..useless, changed to a merc, works fine now, so spend a few $$$ more on that
Mine never worked and replaced them with Sierra units. I guess that explanes the erratic guage action.

I also just replaced my oil sending unit. $26 off of Amazon. It was reading 40psi and inconsistent but then went to a solid 70psi with a new sender. They seem to have a high failure rate.

Last edited by Baja Rooster; 09-10-2015 at 02:17 AM.
Old 09-10-2015, 10:47 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cabin fever
Where did you get it from? Yea, I only wanna do it once.
I got them from a jims marine in Fl, from ebay, great guy to deal with, sent me the merc ones after the crap with sierra,
Old 09-15-2015, 08:36 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 99 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by blue thunder
On the trim sender make sure the pivot pin didn't move and cause it to not read. For alternators I use dbelectical.com because of their price point. They seem to work well to, starters and alternators.
+1 for DBElectrical. NO ONE can touch their price for brand new alternators and they have a one year warranty. I just put two 105 amp cs10 alternators on my boat to replace the 34 amp motorola. wow what a difference. These things charge like a raped ape. the only down side is because they put out so much more voltage, I fried my air fuel meter because they were not hooked to the battery and they got a voltage spike.
Old 09-16-2015, 09:23 AM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by phughes69
+1 for DBElectrical. NO ONE can touch their price for brand new alternators and they have a one year warranty. I just put two 105 amp cs10 alternators on my boat to replace the 34 amp motorola. wow what a difference. These things charge like a raped ape. the only down side is because they put out so much more voltage, I fried my air fuel meter because they were not hooked to the battery and they got a voltage spike.
if the alt is putting out more than 14.5 volts something is wrong.the voltage regulator in the alt controls output.