Notices

Winterizing a 496 HO

Old 10-28-2015, 11:16 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

there is blue drains plugs to make sure the water has drained out completely - stab them with semi stiff wire or a tie wrap going into as far as you can.

It is very simple to check and or drain the Merc 496 exhaust system and heat exchanger all with about 5 mins worth of time total plus both of theses systems will be taken care by doing this..

Here is how to do per what i am talking about. Very easy to do. You loosen the hose clamps and pull the hoses off from the exhaust manifolds at the bottom, then you pull the heat exchanger raw water hose off ( port side) semi bottom location then you blow thru the the 2 exhaust manifold hose that you have taken loose. let drip dry for a couple mins. rehook everything if you are to re run the engine for every purposes. I have been doing this since the 496 came out in late of 2000.
Old 10-28-2015, 11:18 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

For the heat exchanger alone there is end caps that can taken off to drain but you have to install a new gasket upon reinstalling the end cap.. Just saying