School me on TRS. NEED HELP !!! >

School me on TRS. NEED HELP !!!

Notices

School me on TRS. NEED HELP !!!

Old 12-27-2015, 07:49 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default School me on TRS. NEED HELP !!!

I am New to this set up and know very little about it. I bought a 34 Scarab project without engines or transmissions. The gimbals and drives are present. The boat use to have twin 454 and thats what I wanna put back in. Both of my drives are RH drives. Now here is where I get lost: How do I get props spinning different direction ? If the drives spin the same way as well es the engines ? Is it in the transmissions ??? What transmissions do I need to be looking for ? boat had Velvet drive 1:1s but there seems to be more information needed in order for me to set this boat up the right way.

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-27-2015, 08:21 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

the position of the driven gear in the lower gearcase(in front of or behind the pinion) is what differentiates a right hand from a left hand turning tr drive
Old 12-27-2015, 08:31 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You will also need either Borg Warner or merc style transmissions for the setup. I don't want to turn this into a sales pitch but I am converting my 30' scarab to Kaama surface drives so I have a pair of TRS drives, transmissions, props, etc. that I am looking to get rid of. I am going to let the stuff go for dirt cheap just so I am not tripping over it in my garage. Let me know if you are interested!

Post some pics of the boat and welcome to the club!!
Old 12-27-2015, 09:18 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Blower ,if I were you I would be contacting 502ss and try to get his stuff .That will keep you from having to dig around for various pieces and hardware and save you time and $
Old 12-27-2015, 09:41 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

You can't have two RH drives. You need a RH and a LH . I'd buy a LH drive, and keep their other RH for a spare. Usually when a TRS breaks, its the RH lower. So its good to have a spare.
Old 12-27-2015, 11:00 AM
Registered

Ok. How do I determin right and left hand drives ?
Old 12-27-2015, 11:02 AM
Registered

Yes I definitely need some trs stuff ! I need a pair of transmissions and also bell housings. Let me know what you want for them.
Old 12-27-2015, 11:18 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Blower
Ok. How do I determin right and left hand drives ?
RH drive, will have propshaft that spins in opposite direction of the upper driveshaft. Also, on the TRS propshaft, there should be a tiny "R", or "L", stamped into the very tail end of the shaft itself.
Old 12-27-2015, 01:59 PM
Registered

Ok I just double checked my drives and they are LH and RH they both turn different direction and there is a L stamped on one of them and R on the other.
Old 12-27-2015, 02:25 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Blower
Yes I definitely need some trs stuff ! I need a pair of transmissions and also bell housings. Let me know what you want for them.
$1000 for both TRS drives or BRO!
$800 for both BW 72c (green tag) trannies or BRO!
Also a decent set of props (hydromotive Q4 26 4 blade) $450 for the pair or BRO!

I don't have any of the hydraulics or steering except a tie bar. I also don't have any transom plates (worth selling) and unfortunately I am using the bell housings for the Kaama conversion.

If interested we can figure out shipping costs, I have another guy interested in some of this so let me know!

Thanks
Jim

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.