Notices

Oil change on 525efi

Old 01-22-2016, 09:04 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Oil change on 525efi

Question is in regard to removing the upside down, top mounted oil filter. Do you just poke the top to drain down through the lines to reduce the mess?

What is that allen head plug for that is located on the filter mount where the filter screws on?
Is it a drain plug for the upside down filter?*

Thx!

Last edited by imartin; 01-23-2016 at 08:02 AM.
Old 01-23-2016, 07:52 AM
Registered

Received 157 Likes on 70 Posts

Upside down oil filter has to be the dumbest design ever. I crack the filter loose when I'm draining the oil, then lots of rags underneath the oil filter mount and you have to be quick when you pull it off and flip it over. I've never put a hole in the filter and usually the mess isn't too bad if you have the rags where they need to me. I shake my head every time I do it at why they designed it that way.
Old 01-23-2016, 08:16 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

I have a screwdriver that I sharpened into a point. It's about 3/4" shorter than the oil filter. I pound that in at the top dead center of the filter, and push it all the way through to puncture/push out of the way, the anti-drain back valve. Be sure not to have a screwdriver that is long enough to drive down and damage the fitting/threads that the filter screws onto.

This lets the filter drain all the oil down into the pan; and never spills a drop.
Old 01-23-2016, 08:32 AM
Registered

Sydwayz: Was waiting for you to answer, almost PM'd you. Thanks.

I dont trust myself doing what you describe with the screwdriver, but back to my question, what is that plug for at the top of the filter mount?
Old 01-23-2016, 09:00 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by imartin
Sydwayz: Was waiting for you to answer, almost PM'd you. Thanks.

I dont trust myself doing what you describe with the screwdriver, but back to my question, what is that plug for at the top of the filter mount?
I'm not sure on the plug. I've never taken one out. But it does look like it would drain that cavity. Member "BUP" aka John would know for certain and would be happy to answer. He'll probably see this thread.

But don't worry about the screwdriver in the top of the filter. You are not going to hurt anything. It was taught to me by one of my mechanics years ago.
Old 01-23-2016, 10:17 AM
Registered

Received 110 Likes on 82 Posts

Another option is to take a trash bag and envelope the filter and filter mount when taking the filter off to capture any oil that spills in the initial filter removal.
Old 01-23-2016, 11:53 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Trash
Another option is to take a trash bag and envelope the filter and filter mount when taking the filter off to capture any oil that spills in the initial filter removal.
That's a good idea!
Old 01-23-2016, 01:41 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

The easiest way is just unscrew the oil filter to the point that motor oil does not seep thru but close to that point - let it sit over nite and your oil filter will be completely empty. No mess period. If you can not wait over nite around 2 to 5 hours most of the time it will take for your oil filter to completely drain doing it this way. FYI

it wise to buy what we call diapers in the industry - these are oil absorbent towels. Current brands also also pick gas spills very well. Very handy to have. I sell them if anyone has questions or needs them. One towel will pick up fuel and or all types of oil like a sponge.

Mercruiser does not recommended punching a hole or holes in the oil filters to drain them before removal.

All new Mercruisers now have a built in spout catch persay to help drain the motor oil so no mess takes place. U put a cup or small container under the spout to catch the draining oil from the oil filter when unscrewing it. They kind of copied ILmor inwhich had this design for years now.

Last edited by BUP; 01-23-2016 at 01:55 PM.
Old 01-23-2016, 02:35 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,040 Likes on 1,353 Posts

Just loosen it till it can draw some air in and leave it for about 20 min and it will drain back to the pan, do it right and no oil will spill, an old timer showed me this about five years ago.
Old 01-23-2016, 03:02 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

^^^^ yes thats what I mentioned about unscrewing the filter just before oil seeps out. I have been doing that since 2000 late when the 496 came out from Mercruiser

I read more of the posts now and would like to ask is your HP 525 EFI especially the oil system stock ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.