Notices

Travel Kit for a 496HO

Old 01-27-2016, 07:48 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Travel Kit for a 496HO

We have started traveling with our Nordic a bit now. I was wondering if there was a recomended bag of parts to take that could save a week. Things that are pretty easy to pack a long and to swap out. We went to Lake Meade last year and the boat ran kind of doggish all week. We were about an hour from getting parts and the boat ran, not codes so I just dealt with it. I got home took it in and it was spark plugs, which I guess happens. It got me thinking that maybe carrying a IAC, plugs, and ? in a little kit might not be bad. I get and do carry the things like a prop, spare plug just looking for the motor type stuff. Good idea or am I being over the top?
Old 01-27-2016, 09:14 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

For the motor only:

Plugs
Wires
IAC
Fuel/water separators (filters)
Cam sensor
Crank sensor
Impellers
Spare prop
Old 01-28-2016, 05:59 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Belt!
Old 01-28-2016, 06:18 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

If you DO NOT have DTS then you will have IAC and the gasket for the IAC and IAC muffler ( NEVER install an IAC without a new gasket ) - I would 4 sure bring those 3 items.

Next info - your app states a 2006 model if in fact the motor is, then it is possible you have the GEN III cool fuel module installed for the stock app inwhich does not have any spin on fuel filters. If this is the case having the GEN III cool fuel - You will need the 2 fuel filters that drop in the GEN III cool fuel module - one long fuel filter and round drop in and the very bottom is 10 micron disc pad filter - its a drop in as well. You will also need the new O-ring that goes around the pull up basket for the GEN III cool fuel module. Also the basket itself is your water fuel separator collector - so dump it in a clear jar to check for water. This can be important especially buying marina gas or water entering in your fuel supply. (Water or traces of it in the fuel ).

I would carry new spark plugs and spark plug wires as well. Do not gap these plugs as the gap is pre set and if you do gap them, this will offset the double platinum tips. This can cause a miss fire. FYI

A very clean flame arrester and throttle body adds IAC longevity FYI. IF you have DTS = (digital throttle shift ) you will not have any of this = AND do spray carb cleaner into a DTS throttle body - never.

I WOULD BRING A HAND HELD DIAGNOSTIC SCAN TOOL FOR YOUR APP. I also can sell anyone Diacom (hint). I recommend the Techmate PRO from Diacom. It is not that expensive at all, small and does a very good job scanning marine apps.

Carb cleaner and a clear jar to do fuel samples. Maybe brake cleaner and brake fluid is always a good choice to. Shop rags or shop towels and hand cleaner as well.

Also some tie wraps and some carb cleaner if you need to clean your flame arrester and the area the IAC muffler sits in.

Crank sensor and CAM sensor - the cam sensor is available for the 2006 models. Earlier model 496's the cam sensor is NLA.

Impellers and a spare serp belt and gear oil.

If you do not have a sea strainer I would add one because some lakes have a bunch of trash in them

Last edited by BUP; 01-28-2016 at 06:27 PM.
Old 01-29-2016, 04:38 AM
Registered

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
For the motor only:

Plugs
Wires
IAC
Fuel/water separators (filters)
Cam sensor
Crank sensor
Impellers
Spare prop
WIRES??? 496???
Old 01-29-2016, 08:04 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueabyss
WIRES??? 496???
Plug wires. I've seen then burn through on the exhaust manifolds before if not routed correctly.

And I TOTALLY agree on buying a scanner. www.rinda.com is the best money you can spend on one a boat with one of these boats. Some folks have SmartCraft gauges, but I like the scanner myself.
Old 01-29-2016, 08:30 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,040 Likes on 1,353 Posts

Beer
Old 01-29-2016, 09:29 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BUP

Carb cleaner and a clear jar to do fuel samples. Maybe brake cleaner and brake fluid is always a good choice to. Shop rags or shop towels and hand cleaner as well.
Why would you bring brake fluid? I am assuming for the trailer brakes but curious if you use it for something else.
Old 01-29-2016, 09:32 AM
Registered

And a floating trailer to carry all your spare parts! what about a dingy?
Old 01-29-2016, 09:34 AM
Registered

I would love to be out in 3' chop changing plugs and wires.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.