Notices

Zero effort shifters

Old 02-12-2016, 10:13 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 99 Likes on 53 Posts

The controls are pretty simple as Phragle stated. If your throttle is creeping back, did you do something to the carb? New carb? new throttle return springs? The neutral safety switch is a simple micro switch. You can adjust by bending the lever towards the switch. Use a volt meter set to buzz on ohms and check continuity when shifting between forward and neutral. The picture of the shifters shows the small balls and springs circled in red and the nylon plastic slide in blue. Like MT said use lithium grease to hold the balls in place when reassembling it.
Attached Thumbnails Zero effort shifters-zero-effort.jpg   Zero effort shifters-neutral-safety-switch.jpg  
Old 02-12-2016, 12:20 PM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks guys for all the info. The cables are not tight/stiff and hard to move in any way. When moving the sticks forward on the port side you feel the ball cilck into place and not so much on the starbord witch is the one if you let go of them will fall back a little differing rpms slightly from port motor. Not a huge deal but bugs me knowing it happens. Ocd issue lol
Old 02-12-2016, 12:24 PM
Registered

But the safety switch needs to be adjusted or replace if bad because I don't want to be some where and have it not want to start.
Old 02-12-2016, 12:54 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by 1989mach1
Thanks guys for all the info. The cables are not tight/stiff and hard to move in any way. When moving the sticks forward on the port side you feel the ball cilck into place and not so much on the starbord witch is the one if you let go of them will fall back a little differing rpms slightly from port motor. Not a huge deal but bugs me knowing it happens. Ocd issue lol
Look down in the boot. There should be an allen. Just back it off a turn or two and see what happens.
Old 02-12-2016, 08:17 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 99 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Keith Atlanta
Look down in the boot. There should be an allen. Just back it off a turn or two and see what happens.
Keith, Where is the allen inside the shifter and what is it for? When I put Zero Effort shifters in my boat I had a 3 engine unit that I converted to a two engine unit and I don't remember there being a allen screw?
Old 02-12-2016, 09:13 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

THe allens he mentions are in the high end stuff livorsi, etc...not the basic zero efforts....
Old 02-12-2016, 10:19 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1989mach1
I just bought a few sets of these controls to build a new set for my boat as well as polish and resell. There are 2 detent balls per throttle, I believe phragle may have mentioned that, to lock the throttle in position. Upon taking one set I bought apart I noticed that someone before me had taken one of the detent balls out of one of the throttles but the second one had both. This for sure will make the one handle slip back. If you didn't buy the boat new there's a good chance someone could have had them apart and maybe lost parts for it when it went back together.
Old 02-12-2016, 10:55 PM
Registered

As soon as I can get into the boat and take it out there dash I will look at all of these things. Thanks for all the help.
Old 02-13-2016, 12:12 AM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

Of course you do realise that a genuine hard core powerboater would simply bungy cord the sticks to the dash, run her balls out and not have the problems you are experiencing,...
Old 02-13-2016, 07:42 AM
Registered

Lol ya its not often I take my hand off the sticks and the sticks off the dash. Only to a just the tabs but knowing it does that bugs me lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.