Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
Mold and milew removal that worked!! >

Mold and milew removal that worked!!

Notices

Mold and milew removal that worked!!

Old 03-17-2016, 11:38 AM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Mold and milew removal that worked!!

I tried CLR mold and mildew remover- didnt work at all. waste of money. Tried purple power and dep hd claener ...nope, not even a little. tried scrubbing too.(they do work with dirt though) then I used bleach full strength carefully , keeping away from threads rubbing gently with a small brush and cloth and rinsed and wiped /washed area right away. worked Mint. after cleaning I coated the seats with uv protectant similar to 303 from Napa. seats look great. This was on a Formula so the vinyle is very thick and high quality.
Old 03-17-2016, 01:11 PM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 943 Likes on 474 Posts

Ive been told that bleach only kills mold/mildew at the surface and doesn't penetrate to kill the stuff in the deep holes that it may be sitting in so it will probably return......one old timer told me to use some TSP (Trisodium phosphate) in a mixture with bleach and that will kill it all the way through....i haven't tried it on any boats yet, but did clean my basement tiles when we had a flooding some 3 years back and never had any issues...

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 03-17-2016, 02:48 PM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Wally
Ive been told that bleach only kills mold/mildew at the surface and doesn't penetrate to kill the stuff in the deep holes that it may be sitting in so it will probably return......one old timer told me to use some TSP (Trisodium phosphate) in a mixture with bleach and that will kill it all the way through....i haven't tried it on any boats yet, but did clean my basement tiles when we had a flooding some 3 years back and never had any issues...
tsp cool thanks for that
Old 03-17-2016, 07:14 PM
Registered

Received 1,489 Likes on 805 Posts

That 303 works well on sun faded gelcoat also. It's temporary however works really well. Spray/mist it on and let sit for a few minutes and lightly wipe off. Used it often on an old liberator years ago.
Old 03-17-2016, 07:42 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

Just be carefull with the bleach..learned that the hard way. Sewer line broke a few years ago at the street and my basement backed up ugly... went to menards and got a bunch of bleach and started mopping and scrubbing like mad... ended up chemical burning myself in various spots... never contemplated how viscous strong bleach solutions can be, but the stuff works though. Also wont hurt to treat the vinyl a couple times as the bleach can really dry it out.
Old 03-17-2016, 11:33 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

I've had great results with Zep Mold and Mildew Stain Remover from Home Depot. Just use gloves and buy the better spray bottle cause it will eat the insides of the cheap ones.
Old 03-18-2016, 07:57 AM
Registered

Received 792 Likes on 447 Posts

One of our detailers used a combo of bleach and Baking Soda as a paste to remove mold stains - slow but worked well.. Magic erasers are extremely fast and thorough... but are removing the top layer of the vinyl as the active agent is TSP( cleaned vs uncleaned with magic erasers - cleaned will be slightly matte.... but clean)
Old 03-21-2016, 09:33 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You guys are putting way too much effort into removing mold. Use Mold Stat; Its EPA approved. Removes and kills mold spores below surface. Smells good too.
Old 03-21-2016, 09:54 AM
Registered

Received 1,489 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by mike38scarab
You guys are putting way too much effort into removing mold. Use Mold Stat; Its EPA approved. Removes and kills mold spores below surface. Smells good too.
Gonna try it on my shower tonight. If it don't work I'm going to rag on you. Ha. There is a lot of new products out there theses day and hard to keep up with. I had bad tree sap etc stains on my golf cart seats at course that are parked under large maple tress and during budding they are horrible. Tried absolutely everything and finally one of my employees brought a product in and by complete shock it worked extremely well. Will post the name of it tonight just for other stains etc to get rid of.

These are helpful threads for everyone and there's no argueing or name calling to boot. Lol...
Old 03-21-2016, 10:13 AM
Platinum Member

Received 134 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Wally
Ive been told that bleach only kills mold/mildew at the surface and doesn't penetrate to kill the stuff in the deep holes that it may be sitting in so it will probably return........
Having been battling mold my whole life everywhere , not just on the boat , I'd only ever had any reasonable success with bleach too . But you know what it can do to upholstery fabrics if not rinsed off properly . And don't even mention making the lethal mistake of getting it in the stitching . But still , I always thought it was killing the mold too .
I've very recently learned , from a guy who should know , that supposedly hydrogen peroxide does kill the stuff. I'm now in the early stages of trying it out around the house and look forward to good results . There's absolutely no shortage of things to try it on around here !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.