Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
DIY - Duramax Marinisation >

DIY - Duramax Marinisation

Notices

DIY - Duramax Marinisation

Old 10-16-2016, 02:34 PM
Registered

Received 1,285 Likes on 474 Posts

and no the boats not as ratty looking as the engine compartment is at the moment
Attached Thumbnails DIY - Duramax Marinisation-img_3740.jpg  
Old 10-16-2016, 02:37 PM
Registered

Xx
Attached Thumbnails DIY - Duramax Marinisation-img_5619.jpg  
Old 10-16-2016, 11:02 PM
Registered

Received 916 Likes on 304 Posts

Boat is looking great. I stole a peak couple weeks ago while in town. Its' time to order the main engine heat exchanger for my project to. Plus it fits where I left off in this thread. So far I'm leaning towards a 5"x27" Cummins OEM unit. Since you have good contacts down there, any suggestions on custom suppliers?
Old 10-17-2016, 02:34 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Eider
Thanks Kidturbo. I think I'll try the keel cooler and see how it does. There's no way to determine its rated efficiency based on the specs because its just a series of pipes welded to the hull, not a manufactured cooler. Ocean water temps are 60 on the hottest day of the year and generally the faster the boat moves the more cooling power the cooler has. With my detroit I'm unable to load the motor high enough to budge my running temperature under any conditions, so there is definitely extra capacity built in. The return end of the cooler doesn't even get hot enough to kill the barnacles growing on it! I'm hesitant to start pulling any seawater into the boat because it can freeze, and I'd hate to rely on a rubber hose to keep me afloat. Thanks for the info on V drive, I'll look into keeping it.
Just a note-the new supercharged scarab jet boats are using closed cooling. They have metal plates built into the bottom of the boat at the running surface that they use as a heat exchanger. We have not had any issues with them overheating even with the twin engine boats-they are packed in there pretty tight.
Old 10-19-2016, 04:08 AM
Registered

I saw those sweet little rides at the Miami show. Impressive design and interior layout. I was so busy checking out that SC setup, didn't notice the cooling system. Keel coolers have been used on lager vessels for long time. I've just never done much reading on them for smaller scale boats.

I've been laying out the cooling system components this week for a pair of big Dmax HP engines I built for another member. Even with Merc 1075/1200 style pumps, it's a chore to figure how much flow goes where. Because it's for ocean use, there is currently 4 heat exchangers per engine. Each with it's own flow requirements and restrictions. You'd think moving 200+ Gpm of water would make it easier. Not so much.... Hope to catch up on this thread soon as I sort out this design since it fits where I left off.
Old 10-19-2016, 09:30 PM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Kidturbo , did you ever get a handle on the water cooled manifolds ? I've worked with 304-316-321SS ,Inconel and Ti in exhaust systems and other fabrications , for
20 some years. If you need some help fabbing up some tubes let me know.
Old 10-20-2016, 05:18 PM
Registered

Always looking for good options on exhaust. Nothing has stood out as a superior design yet, not even my own. What I'd like to find is someone with access to mandrel bending equipment, along with great SS welding skills. That way I could drop off a mock up engine, and pick up a few sets a couple months later. I've spent more time just trying to get these two CMI sets bolted to the heads than most would tolerate.
Old 10-20-2016, 06:25 PM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

What about casting a manifold? I have access to a development firm that can make the molds, and have contacts with a couple aluminum foundries.
Old 10-20-2016, 06:59 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by kidturbo
Always looking for good options on exhaust. Nothing has stood out as a superior design yet, not even my own. What I'd like to find is someone with access to mandrel bending equipment, along with great SS welding skills. That way I could drop off a mock up engine, and pick up a few sets a couple months later. I've spent more time just trying to get these two CMI sets bolted to the heads than most would tolerate.
The whole process is a pain in the ass.
I cut and fit mine on the engine at night in my garage and tacked them with a mig then took them to work and had them tig welded. Take them back home and find out their almost too warped to bolt back on.
Attached Thumbnails DIY - Duramax Marinisation-img_4825.jpg  
Old 10-20-2016, 07:21 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Unlimited jd
What about casting a manifold?
That was actually my first approach with another member a couple years ago. Est was around 10k for first set, then about 2k for each pair done in stainless after that. Problem was, we only needed 1 pair at that time..

Banks has a mold, probably collecting dust somewhere.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.