Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
Mold... Don't clean it, KILL it! >

Mold... Don't clean it, KILL it!

Notices

Mold... Don't clean it, KILL it!

Old 04-03-2016, 11:24 PM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Mold... Don't clean it, KILL it!

Every year, I fight the mold that ends up on my sunpad and cockpit interior. This year, I put my normal buckets of damp rid and was going to add a clip on fan to cycle on/off throughout the day to keep air moving. Well I thought of it during late fall and couldn't find any stores with the lil fan I wanted. (Winter=. 0 fan sales, lol)

I did some research for fighting mold. Most cleaners only clean the surface. Apparently a mold killer has to be EPA approved. I found some guys used MOLD STAT which you can find at lowes. I was kind of apprehensive b/c it mixes a few ounces to a gallon of water.

Well, while I was in Home Depot, I searched for MOLD STAT, but they didn't have it. I did find this stuff.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]553470[/ATTACH]

So, while I had my cockpit cover off and was changing drive oil, fixing some nicks, I decided to try this stuff while I had her basking in the sun.

HOLY SH!T! This stuff worked pretty good. It mixes 25% with water. I sprayed the sunpad and cockpit interior as well as cuddy.

I normally have to clean the crap out of the sunpad to get the mold and usually comes back if we get a lot of rain and stays humid for a while. You have to saturate the vinyl and supposed to stay wet for 10 min and then allow to dry. Wow, i was really surprised at what it did. I had light mold over most of the sunpad and it was 90% gone, I recoated and it was 100% gone.

Between the spray and the sun, the mold was gone! This stuff is supposed to inhibit growth as well. Looks like it got down into the vinyl. So I washed and then recoated with 303! Will see how long it last, but it was gone with no scrubbing.
Attached Thumbnails Mold... Don't clean it, KILL it!-image.jpg  
Old 04-04-2016, 06:24 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 370 Likes on 249 Posts

If you have mold, is'nt it because there is still too much humidity trapped in the boat, or pad?
I never had any, in any of my boats...
Old 04-04-2016, 09:35 AM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by nailit
Every year, I fight the mold that ends up on my sunpad and cockpit interior. This year, I put my normal buckets of damp rid and was going to add a clip on fan to cycle on/off throughout the day to keep air moving. Well I thought of it during late fall and couldn't find any stores with the lil fan I wanted. (Winter=. 0 fan sales, lol)

I did some research for fighting mold. Most cleaners only clean the surface. Apparently a mold killer has to be EPA approved. I found some guys used MOLD STAT which you can find at lowes. I was kind of apprehensive b/c it mixes a few ounces to a gallon of water.

Well, while I was in Home Depot, I searched for MOLD STAT, but they didn't have it. I did find this stuff.

So, while I had my cockpit cover off and was changing drive oil, fixing some nicks, I decided to try this stuff while I had her basking in the sun.

HOLY SH!T! This stuff worked pretty good. It mixes 25% with water. I sprayed the sunpad and cockpit interior as well as cuddy.

I normally have to clean the crap out of the sunpad to get the mold and usually comes back if we get a lot of rain and stays humid for a while. You have to saturate the vinyl and supposed to stay wet for 10 min and then allow to dry. Wow, i was really surprised at what it did. I had light mold over most of the sunpad and it was 90% gone, I recoated and it was 100% gone.

Between the spray and the sun, the mold was gone! This stuff is supposed to inhibit growth as well. Looks like it got down into the vinyl. So I washed and then recoated with 303! Will see how long it last, but it was gone with no scrubbing.
Awesome! thanks for that info.
Old 04-04-2016, 11:59 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info. My boat has been sitting for two years while I gtnered upgrades and I have a slight mold and mildew problem is like to get taken care of before i see somebody I know and get embarrassed.
Old 04-04-2016, 03:58 PM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by jeff32
If you have mold, is'nt it because there is still too much humidity trapped in the boat, or pad?
I never had any, in any of my boats...
Humidity is part of the equation. If its damp and not ventilated well (no moving air.... hence fan comment), it will grown mold. The high humidity doesn't allow for the area to dry.

(boat is stored outside under full boat cover)
Old 04-05-2016, 08:29 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

I have used, Pine Sol , for years and it seems to actually kill mold, not just clean it.
I dont have any mold problem on my boat but have used this on other things it works very well and its cheap.
Old 04-05-2016, 08:51 AM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by 253
I have used, Pine Sol , for years and it seems to actually kill mold, not just clean it.
I dont have any mold problem on my boat but have used this on other things it works very well and its cheap.
cool. how do I use pine sol, mix? wipe on ... spray? thanks
Old 04-05-2016, 12:03 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Zep clear shell is one to look into. It prevents the mold from growing in the first place. You can get it at lowes or Home depot.
Old 04-05-2016, 06:50 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Just wipe it onto areas easy to get to, spray hard to reach areas straight out of the bottle, don't dilute it, it works to kill mold and its cheap, smells good to.
Old 04-10-2016, 08:03 AM
Registered

Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by nailit

Can you please keep us updated as to whether or not the mold regrows? Thanks!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.