Engine Flushing Through Sea Strainer >

Engine Flushing Through Sea Strainer

Notices

Engine Flushing Through Sea Strainer

Old 04-05-2016, 10:39 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Engine Flushing Through Sea Strainer

I recently purchased a Magic Deck boat with a 575sci. It has a Super Chiller Intercooler installed as well as a TCM sea strainer being feed from a through hull low water pick up. It came from Arizona and I live in Louisiana so it will soon start to see some salt water run time and I want to be as prepared as possible. From research, the intercoolers do not like salt water much and need to be flushed as quickly as possible after being run in salt water. I am about to plumb up a "in water" flush and I am wanting to take the easiest route possible. End result is to be able to flush the engine with fresh water while the boat is still sitting in the salt water. Here's why... For the Emerald Coast Poker run, I leave the boat in a wet slip for the week but want to flush the engine daily.

I am wanting to know if I can just put a 1/4 turn ball valve on the inlet side of the strainer, close the ball valve to isolate salt water from being pulled in, remove the lid on the strainer, and just run fresh water from a hose directly in the strainer with the lid off, crank the engine and flush this way.

I hope I have explained myself clearly as to what I am wanting to do, and what I'm wanting to accomplish.
Old 04-06-2016, 05:13 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I wouldn't want to be constantly opening the sea strainer daily to flush engine. I would put a T right after the strainer with hose fitting and another ball valve. also my 454's would each suck a 5 gallon bucket dry pretty quick. the strainer would be a somewhat smallish reservoir to use for flush water.
Old 04-06-2016, 05:44 AM
Registered

I have access to a fresh water hose at the slip I rent, so I was just going to hold the hose running straight in the strainer. I have seen what my 6.2 would do to a 5 gal. bucket when I was winterizing, didn't take long at all.
Old 04-06-2016, 07:56 AM
Registered

Received 1,329 Likes on 742 Posts

Your strainer should already have a shut off on it so you can clean the strainer in the water without sinking.

Just add a T or normally there is another port and set up a permanent connection so you can use it in the future.
Old 04-06-2016, 02:53 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

[ATTACH=CONFIG]553712[/ATTACH]Pick up the following.

1) T for the inlet side of the strainer. You want a 1/2" NPT out to the flush port.
2) 1/2"NPT with 1/2" barb or suitable fitting for 1/2 ID hose.
3) Perko Fresh water Fitting (Female)
4) Check valve
5) 1/2" ID hose.

This is the set up most of the manufactures use. The photo is of a Cigarette. Lip Ship Performance has all the hardware for one stop shopping.

http://lipship.com/parts/view/27
Attached Thumbnails Engine Flushing Through Sea Strainer-flush.jpg  
Old 04-06-2016, 03:57 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 771 Likes on 352 Posts

cajun, i did exactly what you are asking about. i plumbed in a ball valve after the transom bit befor the seastrainer. i get where i am going, hook up my saltaway, turn the valve and flush the motors. i always apologize in advance to the other boaters around, but if we are staying somewhere more than a few hours it makes me feel better.

local industrial wholesalers have the SS valves and nipples youd need
Old 04-06-2016, 04:25 PM
Registered

Thanks guys for all the replies!! I just purchased the boat, and only had 3 days with it before I left for work out of the country ( and one of those days was running it. so I cant verify that a ball valve is already installed but would only make sense that one is like you said Wildman. CIG3, looks like I will be gathering up all those parts to rig up a permanent flush and the fitting from lip ship, very clean set up. Seaford, so do you pull the strainer lid and just run the hose directly in there, or do you have one of these permanent plumb jobs. When I return to country, I will only have 2 days before a poker run and may have to resort to this jerry rigging before I have the chance to run that permanent plumbing.