Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
Installing roller rockers and supercharger... >

Installing roller rockers and supercharger...

Notices

Installing roller rockers and supercharger...

Old 04-11-2016, 10:44 PM
Registered

Received 143 Likes on 95 Posts
Default Installing roller rockers and supercharger...

I'm putting a Vortech Supercharger on my GenVI 502, and put on Comp Cams ultra Magnum roller rockers as well and have a few questions.

1) Are new pushrods necessary? Is it stupid not to? These stock GM units are clean with about 70 hours on them. Any reason to go with the Comp Cams rods?

2) Taller valve covers are required. Any recommendations on the best bang for the buck, or what to stay away from?

3) I need to dump the Blower oil into the valve cover. Any right or wrong ways to do this other than obviously missing the rockers?

4) Dump the PCV valves for breathers?

Thanks!
Old 04-12-2016, 02:08 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Use the cast rigid type valve covers. Stay away from the stamped steel ones. You can drill and put fittings into them if you want. http://www.hardin-marine.com/p-13494...-oil-plug.aspx
Old 04-12-2016, 06:29 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

You always want to check pushrod length when making any changes to the valvetrain.

I would recommend doing a pushrod upgrade. When going to forced induction , the pushrod, esp the exhaust one, will see a greater amount of stress.

Teague has nice aluminum angle valve covers, that are cast aluminum. You can drill them and mount a fitting for your return line.
Old 04-12-2016, 07:50 AM
Registered

Received 115 Likes on 75 Posts

Just watch the height of the valve covers ,some covers will not fit under the super charger then you will have to cut the corner of the cover off
Old 04-12-2016, 12:00 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by picklenjim
Use the cast rigid type valve covers. Stay away from the stamped steel ones. You can drill and put fittings into them if you want. http://www.hardin-marine.com/p-13494...-oil-plug.aspx
Good to know. Summit had some tempting stamped units.

Originally Posted by green lightning
Just watch the height of the valve covers ,some covers will not fit under the super charger then you will have to cut the corner of the cover off
It just never ends, does it? Lol

The exhaust valves looked spot on but the intake looks a smidge off. Is this within tolerance?

Last edited by Baja Rooster; 04-12-2016 at 12:05 PM.
Old 04-12-2016, 03:35 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

That pattern is fine. Was that from the stock stamped steel rockers? If so, the pattern from the roller rockers will probably be different.

Having the pattern perfectly centered is not the ultimate goal in selecting pushrod length. Rather, you want it to be reasonably centered, but as narrow as possible. A wide pattern means the roller tip is swiping across the valve stem, possibly putting more side thrust on the guide, and some of your lift at the cam lobe is being translated into sideways travel instead of up and down travel to open your valve fully.
Old 04-12-2016, 03:38 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Honestly, if you are running the stock mag cam, the roller rockers are probably not gaining you much. Those cams have a dinky .483 lift, and the stamped steel rockers are probably fine for something like that. If you are running big lifts (.500 and above) and higher spring pressure, the full roller rockers become a requirement.
Old 04-12-2016, 04:03 PM
Registered

That pattern is from the roller rockers. I just took a sharpie, colored the top, set the new rockers on, and turned the crank a few times.

It's the ZZ502 cam. It's not ideal but it's what's in there. I'm actually not going for every inch of power but longevity. I want to get it once and done.

.527"I/.544"E, 224/234dur @.050 on 110 seperation.

Do the 3/8" push rods require new guide plates?

Last edited by Baja Rooster; 04-12-2016 at 04:05 PM.
Old 04-14-2016, 09:01 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by green lightning
Dammit, you called that one! I don't even know how to fit an air cleaner/spark arrestor on this bad boy.

I went with the steel rockers after reading that they'll fit under the stock covers. That's obviously impossible with the poly locks.
Old 04-15-2016, 05:52 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you can run cranes w/stock valve covers, I think 2 need to be ground a little and the dippers need to be removed...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.