Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
My first Boat-1993 Manta Ray 189 Restoration >

My first Boat-1993 Manta Ray 189 Restoration

Notices

My first Boat-1993 Manta Ray 189 Restoration

Old 04-14-2016, 03:07 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So as of know, what we have left before sea trials is....

Glass holes in interior.
Rebuild carb, and get idle set.
Install seats
Cut, buff, and wax gel coat.

Our goal is to get a few trial runs in before her big Memorial Day weekend kickoff. I'll post more pictures as we get more done. I hope you guys enjoyed seeing this, and hope to see some of you out at LOTO this summer! She's not perfect, and never will be, but all said and done, we should have just under 2k in something that my family will hopefully be able to enjoy for summers to come.
Old 04-14-2016, 03:23 PM
Registered

Just realized I posted this in the wrong section. Could a mod move this to the restoration section for me?
Old 04-14-2016, 06:34 PM
Registered

Received 36 Likes on 9 Posts

Alot of people will give you crap for bothering to fix up an old boat like that. Most of the time you will quickly have more into the boat than it is worth. While you may have more in the boat than its worth when fixing old boats, you learn how to do things. You have to start somewhere. As I did mine, I learned better ways I could have fixed/did things. On my second boat I was able to do a better job. It looks like you did a nice spruce up and now will be on the water cheap. You will also have more knowledge about boat mechanics and operation when it comes time to upgrade. Have fun.
Old 04-14-2016, 06:49 PM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts

Good for you, man! As long as you're on the water and have a passion for boating that's all that matters.
Old 04-14-2016, 07:56 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Cool beans!
You may end up fostering a lifelong passion for boating in your son as well.
Old 04-14-2016, 10:10 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Great work! Awesome you've made it a family project too. Enjoy your time out on the water this summer.

Nice bass rig too
Old 04-14-2016, 11:26 PM
Registered

Good job. Use it this summer, sell it and move up next summer. It's a addiction. I could not afford boating if I didn't have the willpower to figure out how to fix stuff myself. Don't let it overcome you, and for motivation just think how nice it will be just to be on the water.
Old 04-15-2016, 09:03 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 79formula
Alot of people will give you crap for bothering to fix up an old boat like that. Most of the time you will quickly have more into the boat than it is worth. While you may have more in the boat than its worth when fixing old boats, you learn how to do things. You have to start somewhere. As I did mine, I learned better ways I could have fixed/did things. On my second boat I was able to do a better job. It looks like you did a nice spruce up and now will be on the water cheap. You will also have more knowledge about boat mechanics and operation when it comes time to upgrade. Have fun.
Thanks man. I figured this would be a great way to learn more about how boats work, with a power combination that's about as simple as it gets to work on. I look at it this way. If you search your local craigslist for 2k boats, there's not going to be anything as nice as what we'll end up with. That sweat equity pays off!

Originally Posted by CrownLPX
Good for you, man! As long as you're on the water and have a passion for boating that's all that matters.
Thanks! I'm really hoping this will be the first of many!

Originally Posted by vintage chromoly
Cool beans!
You may end up fostering a lifelong passion for boating in your son as well.
I'm so excited to have him grow up on the water. It's something I always wanted to do as a kid, but rarely got the chance to.

Originally Posted by RT930turbo
Great work! Awesome you've made it a family project too. Enjoy your time out on the water this summer.

Nice bass rig too
Thanks! It's really been a fun project for all of us. It's a fun rig. Band stuff has been sporadic since all of us have kids, jobs, etc, but it's still fun to rattle the walls of Madison Square Basement when I get a chance.

Originally Posted by Brandonb_05
Good job. Use it this summer, sell it and move up next summer. It's a addiction. I could not afford boating if I didn't have the willpower to figure out how to fix stuff myself. Don't let it overcome you, and for motivation just think how nice it will be just to be on the water.
That's the truth for sure. We're buying a house and moving out of our condo this fall, so going cheap was going to be my only way to get on the water. The lady and I have talked, and we think out next project is going to be a mid sized LSX swapped go fast. I'd love to end up with something like a Fountain 27' Fever as a base for that. Unfortunately, that's going to have to be a few years off.
Old 04-15-2016, 09:55 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks great, you didn't waste any time on getting it cleaned and fixed up did you? Small little details can sometimes make all the difference. I didn't have a huge 6 figure boat budget like some of these guys on here either. I bought a boat that had a solid hull and a strong motor and put a little effort into updating its appearance and some other areas like the sound system and LED lighting. There are a ton of little things you can do inexpensively that will make it look like a newer boat. Enjoy!
Old 04-15-2016, 10:26 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

...one last thing, and you might already be on top of it but replace those old trailer tires and wheel bearings. There is nothing fun or glamorous about trailer tires or wheel bearings but you will be glad you did.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.