Notices

Newbie looking for advice

Old 04-16-2016, 06:52 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie looking for advice

OK all hello first I have solid 81 Nova II 260 27 ft I acquired for what I think is decent price..$500 for boat minus engines and final drives on two axle trailer..question is how do I build this to haul ass..I have limited funds but am not afraid to go the distance on it over time..I realise you never get out what u put into it..but was thinking two bBC or sbc ( as suggested) hooked to alpha drives ( what is left of the former drives are transom plates and upper parts) also she needs new trim set up ..will post pictures of my project soon ..can I get this combination above 65mph or faster??does any body tube behind these boats at 20 mph and under?? How do they handle..may seem silly but as said I am new to this..
Old 04-16-2016, 08:41 PM
Registered

Received 110 Likes on 82 Posts

For that size boat I would consider a BB only and Bravo drives. Two stroker 496's with carbs and a good exhaust system should work. Lots of combinations. That's likely the most cost effective (dare I even use those words for boats). I wouldn't over prop and would use either a Bravo 4 blade or perhaps a Rev 4.
Old 04-16-2016, 09:01 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

27 foot and Tube under twenty hmmm ... Idont think so .. Add some big k planes to the list . And a bravo three duo prop
Old 04-16-2016, 09:11 PM
Registered

Next question would be can I convert alpha drives to bravo drives if so which ones..I have two mid 80's BBC out one ton Cherie's will these work? What does converting from alphas to bravos some say it can't be done.is there anyway to beef the alphas up to handle the HP?. Thks
Old 04-16-2016, 09:45 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

1. a pair of 454 mags should do 65

2. No you can not just take the motor out of cousin Jims wrecked old chevy truck and just drop it in.

3. doing an alpha to bravo conversion is easy, the hard part is buying 2 bravos and transom assemblies.
Old 04-16-2016, 09:52 PM
Registered

Is jet drive a option here? How does performance compare to prop drive?
Old 04-16-2016, 10:15 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

Its an old wellcraft...first thing you need to do is find out if the transom and stringers are wet/toast

Your uncle wouldnt happen to be Jim Darr would it??
Old 04-16-2016, 11:59 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

Jets are not as efficient as props and you will lose 10 to 15% right off the top along with the other issues like putting in water pickups in the bottom of a deep V hull.
Those truck motors could be a nice start. Usually the 1 ton motors were built a little better and you may luck out with better heads. If they are peanut port you are pretty stuck until heads can be found. You can still do a cheap upgrades like cam and re-ring and bearings them. You are gonna at least have to do that so they will semi equal. Then I’m sure everyone here has a list on how to build a motor. I personally would go basic stroker 496 but I wouldn’t even bother installing a motor without at least freshening it up. Nothing like finding out the oil pan leaks after it was installed.
Old 04-17-2016, 01:56 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

The $500 for the boat is the least you will spend on anything.

Used Bravo transom assemblies are at least $1000 each. New are $2400 each
Used Bravo drives can be found for about $1500 each

I would go with SBC 350-383's. If you're lucky, you might get into a used pair for 5k.

Now add 3-5k more other stuff you will need plus about 200 hrs of labor.
Old 04-17-2016, 06:15 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

ok, sounds like you know literally nothing about V8's in boats yet you find yourself a boat owner. Go find 2 junk boats with small blocks and merc alphas. you know, the ones in people's yards with trashed interiors and cracked blocks from never being winterized. usually 500 to 1000 and you can usually sell the trailer you towed it away on for 500. take apart and scrap the hull. usually the drives and transom assys are in decent shape cuz they lived on a trailer and were hardly ever run. now you have the necessary parts and you know roughly where they go. and you got them the only affordable way. the engine itself and exhausts will be scrap, but there is little stuff all over that you need. and you cant go looking for a small part you need if you don't even know it exists. what city do you live in-near?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.