Backfire Issue, need advice. >

Backfire Issue, need advice.

Notices

Backfire Issue, need advice.

Old 04-25-2016, 11:59 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,349 Likes on 286 Posts

Actually Joe, I'm sitting here in bed planning out in my head reinstalling the blowers. It will be after our gulf shores trip maybe week after next. Stay tuned. ��
Old 04-26-2016, 11:04 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

crane did build ignitions , check total timing on back fire
Old 04-26-2016, 12:49 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've been there with MSD marine stuff. I'm sorry...I don't trust it...seems to fragile to me.

When you get back from the Gulf..give DUI in Memphis a call. They have a small cap HID that might work within your space limitations.

Be safe and have fun.
Old 04-26-2016, 12:53 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

I see alot of guys recommend the DUI ignitions. Never used them. They are pretty much an HEI arent they? Are they tuneable? What do they cost ?
Old 04-26-2016, 04:06 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
I see alot of guys recommend the DUI ignitions. Never used them. They are pretty much an HEI arent they? Are they tuneable? What do they cost ?
Check it out...
http://performancedistributors.com/

http://performancedistributors.com/p...-distributors/

I had the guys at DUI set mine up for my Twin Vortec SBC Roller Cam Motors. I set the timing at 8 deg initial and I have a total of 30* at 3000.

Their marine spark plug leads are as good as I've ever seen.

Last edited by sprink58; 04-26-2016 at 04:25 PM.
Old 04-26-2016, 07:23 PM
Registered

Received 1,493 Likes on 807 Posts

Originally Posted by sprink58
I've been there with MSD marine stuff. I'm sorry...I don't trust it...seems to fragile to me.

When you get back from the Gulf..give DUI in Memphis a call. They have a small cap HID that might work within your space limitations.

Be safe and have fun.

Only way to go in my book given the hp and rpm I run. I wouldn't consider anything else. How many threads you see regarding issues or tracking problems with HEI. Dui. Rev limiters available for a little over 100.00 and can get into the marine dui for under 300.00. Two wires and your done. Some tunnel ram guys have clearance issues but not many of those running offshore anyway.

Fully tunable with spring/weight kit. Very easy to make changes.
Old 04-26-2016, 07:30 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Looks like 320 bucks for the Marine DUI setup? Their site shows that they don't sell a different advance curve kit for their distributors, and that they tune them for your engine when you purchase them. If you want a rev limiter, which I would think every hi perf marine engine should, thats another 145 bucks. So, looking around 465 dollars, for an ignition you can't tune yourself, no things like custom 3d programming, pre selectable marine timing curves by turning a dial, start retard, idle stabilization, data logging, and so on.

Thats a tough call. For around another 75-100 bucks, you can get into a Daytona ignition, that has a ton more features. I think its well worth the extra cost, to have the capability to run lots of timing at idle, pull it back off idle, ramp it in per RPM based, or go 1 step further, and use a map sensor, and have a 3d timing map.

With that being said, I do understand guys liking the simplicity, and 1 wire hookup of them.
Old 04-26-2016, 08:30 PM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

MSD Ignitions are VERY Ground Sensitive. Check your Dist to Coil Phasing is Correct. Your Problem sounds like you have the Purple and Green Wires from Dist , Crossed 2 the Coil. They will start and run, but the reversed coil phasing , will not generate enough spark intensity to fire the plugs . Hence the Black plugs.
Old 04-26-2016, 09:20 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
Looks like 320 bucks for the Marine DUI setup? Their site shows that they don't sell a different advance curve kit for their distributors, and that they tune them for your engine when you purchase them. If you want a rev limiter, which I would think every hi perf marine engine should, thats another 145 bucks. So, looking around 465 dollars, for an ignition you can't tune yourself, no things like custom 3d programming, pre selectable marine timing curves by turning a dial, start retard, idle stabilization, data logging, and so on.

Thats a tough call. For around another 75-100 bucks, you can get into a Daytona ignition, that has a ton more features. I think its well worth the extra cost, to have the capability to run lots of timing at idle, pull it back off idle, ramp it in per RPM based, or go 1 step further, and use a map sensor, and have a 3d timing map.

With that being said, I do understand guys liking the simplicity, and 1 wire hookup of them.
take that back. Pertronix marine flame thrower is whet I currently have and they came with tune kit. No noticeable difference than dui. ck those out. Vacuum or mechanical advance. Mine run well on the dyno in direct comparison to high dollar Speed shop ignition including plug wires the size of my fingers. Dyno results were "0" difference.
Old 04-26-2016, 09:28 PM
Registered

I just hate chasing problems. I enjoy building engines etc however when it comes to boating when I head out the Chanel who's to say where I'll / we end up. I think nothing of crossing the pond at 7:30 in the evening and make it back for work in the morning. They've just been super reliable but I must say I've had great luck over the years with the old t-bolt merc ignition also.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.