Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
TRS drive alignment help........again. >

TRS drive alignment help........again.

Notices

TRS drive alignment help........again.

Old 05-06-2016, 10:26 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TRS drive alignment help........again.

I know lots of good info has been posted on how to align an engine equipped with a Borg Warner trans to a TRS drive. However, I am still curious about how much misalignment is allowable between the alignment disk and the drive housing. The reason I ask is I've recently replaced the engine and the alignment is off. When the disk is touching the bottom of the gimbal housing (7 o'clock) I have a gap of a little more than 1/8 inch at the one o'clock position. Normally all I'd need to do would be to lower the front of the engine, but since I have offshore mounts any change would take re-drilling and I don't want to egg out the holes. I've read several posts that say alignment on TRS drives isn't that important, and a little misalignment is ok. So...any TRS experts out there, what do you think?
Old 05-12-2016, 08:04 PM
Registered

Received 460 Likes on 244 Posts

i am no expert,

did you install the offshore mounts or did you buy it with them? maybe they where wrong when you bought it.

did you check alignment prior to pulling out the engine?

did you take the transom assembly off?

if the disk doesn't touch up top you have to lower the front, but you know that,

if alignment was good before, i would look to make sure the stack of washers, fibrous washers and spring doohickies on the tailstock are correct, maybe the spring is on the fibrous instead of in it or something goofy like that and it's got the back end cocked up an rch that 2 feet back on the bellhousing on the disc it's showing an 1/8 which i think is to far out, an 8th sounds like a lot we used to check install (plate mounts) alignment with a feeler gauge

good luck

Last edited by outonsafari; 05-12-2016 at 08:08 PM.
Old 05-12-2016, 09:13 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

correct with offshore mounts there should be no change, I never had any issues.. mine are in and out all the time lol
Old 05-15-2016, 03:37 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've had my TRS drives off many times and never used an alignment tool. I just eyeball the receiver in the tail and adjust the front eng. mounts until it looks horizontal. Knock wood never had a problem.
Old 05-25-2016, 05:46 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

hello,,,,,i just went thru new transom and stringers, so i completely realigned motors.
make sure u have your spring washer and fiber washers between tran and mounting surface on peice the is botled to transom.
also make sure u torque the large 2 bolts going thru the tail peice to mounting surface. if they are not torqued this WILL make a difference, as i just found this out yesterday.
i tried to put my trs's on last weekend couldnt get either one on, i was concerned something was wrong with alignment, so i borrowed alignment tool again, check stbd side was right on!!!!
then checked port side and it was off, then i remembered i hadnt tighten the 2 large 15/16 head bolts, torqued them down 50 psi, then drive drive was aligned perfect.

but i have never heard alignment was not important.
not sure with yours what is off,,,,,,,???
got springs and fiber washers in there and torqued down??

it was told me me by old racer dave goodmen that a little angle was good, it helped make the universals work??

hmmmmmmmmmmmm...

flash out.
Old 05-25-2016, 07:04 AM
Registered

Received 103 Likes on 75 Posts

What is the correct order and amount of fiber washers and springs on reassembly on each side of the mount? Are threes the same?
Old 05-26-2016, 11:16 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

http://www.mercruiserparts.com/bam/s.../31307/949/280

i beleive there are 2 fiber washers and one spring washer,,,going between under side of trans tail peice and mounting surf on trans peice..

flash out.