oil pressure loss and lifters noisey

Notices

oil pressure loss and lifters noisey

Old 05-27-2016, 01:52 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,115 Likes on 1,402 Posts

He get' noisy lifters at the same time.

You are either overfilling the oil by a good amt and whipping the crap out of the oil or your clearances are way off or you oil pick up is cracked / leaking air/ or fell off..
Old 05-27-2016, 02:45 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought about aerating the oil but the level is correct on the correct dipstick with an aftermarket higher capacity pan so I would think the oil level is ok.i have not verified that yet.new pump and screen and it did it with the old pump and screen so I don't really suspect that.i was hoping somebody would have a magic answer but im thinking the same as most of you guys(bearing clearance).hopefully he'll let me tear it apart and check it.i will post my findings when I figure it out.it ran almost all season last year with the exact same set up is what kinda has me puzzled.it just happened all the sudden.thanks for the help.
Old 05-27-2016, 02:50 PM
SB
Registered

Moist everything happens 'all of a sudden.'
Old 05-27-2016, 03:22 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

haha that's a fact!gotta love boating
Old 05-27-2016, 04:00 PM
SB
Registered

Originally Posted by hickle44
haha that's a fact!gotta love boating
Cars too. 80% of people that call or walk in or get towed in say "It happened all of a sudden. Can't believe it ! What do you think it is ?"

I'd be a Trump if I got $1 every time someone said that to me.
Old 05-28-2016, 01:54 PM
Registered

Received 1,491 Likes on 806 Posts

I'd confirm with mechanical and sb had some good advice. Oil pick up laying in bottom of pan. Wouldn't be the first to have happen.
Old 05-28-2016, 09:29 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

I built a 500 hp motor for my first boat, a 17 ft cobrajet. It was more of a vee hull than a little lake racer, I drove it like a offshore race boat. It never had a oil cooler since new and driven hard my oil pressure sucked at hot idle (I bought it with a hurt motor and finished that off right away THEN built a 500 hp replacement), ended up turning bearings to copper and eating up crank, I pulled it out and redid it again and added a small oil cooler and never had a problem again. The fact you have no oil cooler would make me say get a infrared gun and shoot pan/filter and see how hot oils getting, if idled around and blipped once in a while prob not neccesary BUT if driven hard for long periods of time getting temp down might bring it up to 10 or 20 psi. Again, see how hot oil is, when you start going abpve 225 to 250 pressure starts going away, mine was 280 to 300 degrees before adding cooler, no air hits pan so no kinda cooling, too much timing will heat oil up too

Last edited by articfriends; 05-28-2016 at 09:33 PM.
Old 05-29-2016, 07:05 AM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

A guy on Hotrodders.com had no pressure after a build in a correct bearing clearance engine. It had a chunk of rtv fall in the oil pressure port!
So lesson is, when you open the engine check it all. Including mic the cam journals and bearings, they have a major effect on oil pressure.
Clean out all the galleries too. Brushes, eyes and lights in each one. Betcha there's something wrong in the galleries or clearances.
Old 05-29-2016, 07:48 AM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 159 Likes on 89 Posts

Clearance pan to pickup 5/16 to 3/8 - this is important

You need to verify the dipstick/oil level regardless of new pan, etc. Is there a windage tray on the main caps or built into the pan? There should be. You need to make sure that the full mark puts the oil level below the tray or at the very least below the crank/rods.

What happens if you put a new filter on it?
Old 05-29-2016, 02:24 PM
Registered

Received 1,491 Likes on 806 Posts

Originally Posted by articfriends
I built a 500 hp motor for my first boat, a 17 ft cobrajet. It was more of a vee hull than a little lake racer, I drove it like a offshore race boat. It never had a oil cooler since new and driven hard my oil pressure sucked at hot idle (I bought it with a hurt motor and finished that off right away THEN built a 500 hp replacement), ended up turning bearings to copper and eating up crank, I pulled it out and redid it again and added a small oil cooler and never had a problem again. The fact you have no oil cooler would make me say get a infrared gun and shoot pan/filter and see how hot oils getting, if idled around and blipped once in a while prob not neccesary BUT if driven hard for long periods of time getting temp down might bring it up to 10 or 20 psi. Again, see how hot oil is, when you start going abpve 225 to 250 pressure starts going away, mine was 280 to 300 degrees before adding cooler, no air hits pan so no kinda cooling, too much timing will heat oil up too
I'm surprised it lasted that long running those temps.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.