Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
oil pressure loss and lifters noisey >

oil pressure loss and lifters noisey

Notices

oil pressure loss and lifters noisey

Old 05-31-2016, 11:18 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

a lot of good ideas/suggestions.im gonna see if he'll pull the motor and let me have it to try to sort it out.thanks.I will post my findings
Old 06-02-2016, 07:32 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok tore into this engine last night.checked all the main bearing clearances,a little tight but all in specs.checked lifter bore clearance all good.checked oil level in pan in relation to the windage tray.a little high with 6 qts(maybe a 1/4 over the tray if that).checked to make sure all cam bearings were installed correctly,they were.using a melling M-77G oil pump.oil pick up screen is about 1/4 off the pan without the gasket so I say its right in there.did not get to check the rod bearing clearance yet.all bearings look good still.not sure what gen the block is but it has a mechanical fuel pump so I'm thinking 3 or 4.heres what im thinking I found.oil filter adapter that bolts to eng block has had the bypass removed and a plug installed in place.eng was assembled with arp assembly lubricant(for fasteners)and im guessing an excessive amount was used and plugged up the oil filter.i cut the filter apart and it was full of the moly lube.no bypass in adapter no way for oil to get to the engine.oil pressure is taken after the filter.