Total Timing Recommendations? >

Total Timing Recommendations?

Notices

Total Timing Recommendations?

Old 06-13-2016, 09:59 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by getrdunn
Much better route but must say I'm surprised how many I see and or hear that are locked in btwn 30-34 and never have issues. I would imagine awareness and knowing has to help. Some who may drive with complete different style etc could have issues as mentioned.
Issues that you hear about at least. I know of many who've suffered failures, whether from timing, fuel tune, etc.

I think one of the things that helped me, was that my props slip to high hell getting on plane. The engines never see boost getting on plane. Now, throw 34 degrees of timing at an engine, when in boost, at 2500RPM in a high load situation, and you just might rattle the chit out of it. That was always my fear, once up on plane, I could drop the tabs and tuck the drives in, and stay on plane at 2500rpm, but the thought of doing that , with locked timing, scared me more than running it wfo
Old 06-14-2016, 05:39 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Weather permitting, we are FINALLY launching the Formula tonight! Timing is locked at 32 with Start Retard Boxes (Starter Savers) Idle is better locked
Old 06-14-2016, 07:54 AM
Registered

Received 431 Likes on 192 Posts

Tim,

Post up some results and pics in the Formula section. Really excited to see, and hear how things go.
Old 06-14-2016, 08:16 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nobody is more excited that me! lol Been a LONG time coming! Sometimes it takes a little longer to do it "right" than just slam it together Hope to run into ya somewhere again! Got to break-in those Konrads before we throw the hammers down! Been a LOT of people guessing how fast the "pig" will go, I KNOW it will be faster than the Girlfriend wants though lol
Old 06-14-2016, 04:52 PM
Registered

Received 1,489 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by TAStevens
Nobody is more excited that me! lol Been a LONG time coming! Sometimes it takes a little longer to do it "right" than just slam it together Hope to run into ya somewhere again! Got to break-in those Konrads before we throw the hammers down! Been a LOT of people guessing how fast the "pig" will go, I KNOW it will be faster than the Girlfriend wants though lol

Be sure and Break em in like a new GF.
Old 06-14-2016, 08:23 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

my opinion on total timing,every engine is different so no magic one number for all but i have seen 2 deg of advance pick up 50 horse,that is one of the reasons i like to run every new build on the dyno,much easier to tune than in the boat even if you are reading afr,s in the boat.
Old 06-15-2016, 01:59 PM
Registered

Received 179 Likes on 88 Posts

Absolutely Dyno if you can, you can learn so much about the idiosyncrasies of your motor. I have been amazed at how what I thought I knew would work didn't work at all when you see it on the Dyno.
We ran locked distributors for years. Just for reference for you younger guys, there WEREN'T any electronic boost controllers, retarders, computers, nothing. On a lot of our flatbottoms we ran Mags so as not to drain the battery (as we didn't run a charging system either)
Never suffered a timing degree fubar with a locked distrib, although we suffered about everything else!!! haha!

Computers are cool for getting that last bit of hp out, but really recent in the evolution of blower motors. Just because locked distributors are old technology doesn't make it bad technology, just not the most up to date. In real life, you'll never know the difference.
Old 06-15-2016, 06:03 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by CDShack
Absolutely Dyno if you can, you can learn so much about the idiosyncrasies of your motor. I have been amazed at how what I thought I knew would work didn't work at all when you see it on the Dyno.
We ran locked distributors for years. Just for reference for you younger guys, there WEREN'T any electronic boost controllers, retarders, computers, nothing. On a lot of our flatbottoms we ran Mags so as not to drain the battery (as we didn't run a charging system either)
Never suffered a timing degree fubar with a locked distrib, although we suffered about everything else!!! haha!

Computers are cool for getting that last bit of hp out, but really recent in the evolution of blower motors. Just because locked distributors are old technology doesn't make it bad technology, just not the most up to date. In real life, you'll never know the difference.
i know one oso member who knows the difference!i won,t mention his name but before he went with the daytona cd1 he burnt a lot of pistons but none after the install.

Last edited by mike tkach; 06-15-2016 at 09:44 PM.
Old 06-15-2016, 06:15 PM
Registered

Received 179 Likes on 88 Posts

Haha! When I first started, I went through 3 motors in one summer! It's a long story, but found out it was a fuel issue at WOT! Setup is everything!!!
Old 06-15-2016, 08:52 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by CDShack
Haha! When I first started, I went through 3 motors in one summer! It's a long story, but found out it was a fuel issue at WOT! Setup is everything!!!
I wonder how many guys over the years, burned blower motors down, because of that very reason, and blamed it on timing, or something else. I have heard guys say "NEVER RUN MORE THAN 30* ON A BLOWER MOTOR". I think alot of that stemmed from the days of burning stuff down, until they retarded the timing enough to make it stop, when in reality, it was a fueling issue, or something else.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.