Notices

Need Advise Please

Old 06-16-2016, 06:11 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by getrdunn
Put an HEI in even if it's an automotive cheap one just for starters to see if it's your problem. Or borrow one from a friend etc. If it fixes your problem then go from there for replacement. You don't think it jumped timing do u? Might be a long shot but otherwise your fuel vent. Maybe remove your fuel cap.
Might see if I can find one that will work at the local auto parts store. Like I said before I'm not a mechanic but I'm pretty sure it didn't jump timing. Not going to rule that out completely though. Going to run it with the fuel cap off when i get home.
Old 06-16-2016, 06:28 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

using clean fuel? Not the 2 yr old stuff?
Old 06-16-2016, 07:16 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by I.C.U.Lookin
using clean fuel? Not the 2 yr old stuff?
It's the old fuel but it was doing the same thing when the fuel was new. I would like to get the old fuel out though. Can I use the electric fuel pump to get the old fuel out? There's about 30 gallons in the tank. Don't want to burn the pump up.
Old 06-16-2016, 07:40 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

I would buy a used separate one to do that. Not real difficult.
Old 06-16-2016, 07:47 PM
Registered

Received 159 Likes on 78 Posts

Get the old fuel out, run it in your lawnmower. Fill with non ethanol 91, new fuel filter and some sea foam. Bet it clears up your problem. 2 year old fuel could have phase separation.
Old 06-16-2016, 08:42 PM
Registered

Received 1,489 Likes on 805 Posts

did you roll the engine over while having the valve covers off to confirm consistency of intake and exhaust valves? Is it possible to have a lobe or two or lifter wiped out? Vacuum leak somewhere? Where did you set timing? Distributor gear look good? Last resort pull timing chain cover and make sure your marks line up.
Old 06-16-2016, 09:12 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

try replacing the coil.
Old 06-16-2016, 09:33 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,110 Likes on 1,401 Posts

Originally Posted by cadkins
I looked down at my gauges and saw the temp gauge was at 200 so i shut the engine down immediately. Opened the hatch and some how the broken alternator belt slung off and knocked the raw water pump belt off in the process. This whole situation unfolds in the matter of 20 seconds. A couple of weeks later I get in the boat and replace the belts, got everything back together, go to fire it up and it takes forever to fire up. I get it running and as soon as I try to give it gas it "pops" out of the carb causing it to kill.
Do a compression test. You probably burnt a fire ring (headgasket) between two cylinders.
Old 06-16-2016, 09:53 PM
Registered

Received 1,489 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by mike tkach
try replacing the coil.
Right on. I meant to mention that earlier also. Good call.
Old 06-17-2016, 10:55 PM
Registered

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Got most of the fuel out. Went to the local auto parts store and picked up a hei distributor. Got home to put it in and it wouldn't work without splicing wires so I returned it. Going to order the parts to rebuild the thunderbolt. The sensor in it was rusted and nasty. The coil was the same way. Going to get that and new plug wires to see where that gets me. Hopefully that'll get it running right. If not those parts look worn and rusted and probably will go out soon anyway. Going to order the parts this weekend. I'll get back on when the parts come in.

Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.