Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
Self leveling goop for the bilge. >

Self leveling goop for the bilge.

Notices

Self leveling goop for the bilge.

Old 08-28-2016, 11:39 AM
Registered

Received 143 Likes on 95 Posts

The diaper is a handy idea. As it is I try to drain what I can out of the drain then lower the bow to catch the remaining water at the bulkhead with a rag which is very limited with a quart or two of water. As it is I have to use a set of claws to retrieve to rag.

Enforcement here is zero tolerance. If they get as much as a smudge on the finger it's a no go, and for good reason, but I do need to make it easier.
Old 08-29-2016, 02:05 PM
Registered

Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Baja Rooster
Here in NorCal we have to have our boats bone dry before dropping it into a lake to cull invasive species.t
Is someone out inspecting every bilge?
Old 08-31-2016, 02:06 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Tractionless
Is someone out inspecting every bilge?
Yes. It's about a 15 minute inspection before you can launch. If you have so much as water from an errant sprinkler on the drive in the boat still fails. You can get it done once at the beginning of the season and they tag the boat, but if you go to any other bodies of water between visits then you have to get it inspected again. I also want to be able to wash out the bilge better because as it is the dirtiest quart of water gets stuck back there.

Last edited by Baja Rooster; 08-31-2016 at 02:08 PM.
Old 09-02-2016, 02:21 PM
Registered

So I bought some of this stuff, cut out a box to simulate the situation, and it worked out well enough that I'll give it a try by filling from the drain hole. It took about 24hrs to firm up on the shallow end, and a few days for for the deeper side. I'd give it a week before putting it to any real use. It's not perfect, but this should help tremendously until I pull the engine and glass it in.

Old 09-03-2016, 08:12 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

you can make or get a little tiny hose tip for the shop vac. mebbe even a slight curve to it. stick it in thru drain plug hole...
Old 09-03-2016, 08:53 PM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

If you have the space on transom and a standard Garboard drain (1/2" pipe plug with a 2" flange) , you might be able to go up one size (3/4 pipe plug with 2.25" flange). You would be able to elongate hole in transom to lower level ( flush with bilge). Clock screws with bottom one at 6 oclock , so others have solid material. New Garboard drain is about $15. Always pre-drill mounting screw holes with proper size bit , ( easy to twist the heads off them in a transom). Good Luck!!!
Old 09-05-2016, 08:42 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use one of the long draw tube squirt guns. Sucks up almost all of it. Then push a rag with a long screwdriver to finish up.