Rubber Exhaust Elbow to Replace 3" Spacer >

Rubber Exhaust Elbow to Replace 3" Spacer

Notices

Rubber Exhaust Elbow to Replace 3" Spacer

Old 09-05-2016, 04:52 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,115 Likes on 1,402 Posts

I'm giving you size info because I know it. Not telling you what to do. I have not tested the difference in real life.

The small boats I've done say 330hp and up get exhaust. Just because. And I don't consider it a waist on those because the person typically wanting to do as much as they could. We'll call it medium budget vs low budget.
Old 09-05-2016, 05:01 PM
SB
Registered

Originally Posted by Gannz
Ok. I do have the exhaust tube instead of the bellows. I understand that helps flow a little better because it's not trying to push it all thru the prop? Not good enough for 400 hp?
I wrote the connecting flange on the transom is the same size. I pushed a 2" rubber cap over that too.

Anyway,
With better exhaust manifolds the other benefits other than weight are:

Spark plugs and etc way easier to get at.
Starter - like simple !
Also, getting rid of y pipe adds even more room to access everything back there. I'm in a lot of engine compartments and this is worth it's weight in gold. Sucks to work on things with Y pipe and fact exh manifolds.
Old 09-05-2016, 05:10 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As usual with something like this, the budget was blown a long time ago. LOL

I can always change the exit later if necessary. Need to get the 383 built first and if I'm not happy with the seat dyno or the numbers I'll go thru the hull.

I would like to go all aluminum with individual runners or aluminum/stainless even if I don't go thru the hull. If it doesn't help flow, I'll still lose 100 lbs off the stern. Would the GLM all aluminum setup be sufficient or would I need to step up to an aluminum manifold and stainless riser?
Old 09-05-2016, 05:21 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by SB
I wrote the connecting flange on the transom is the same size. I pushed a 2" rubber cap over that too.

Anyway,
With better exhaust manifolds the other benefits other than weight are:

Spark plugs and etc way easier to get at.
Starter - like simple !
Also, getting rid of y pipe adds even more room to access everything back there. I'm in a lot of engine compartments and this is worth it's weight in gold. Sucks to work on things with Y pipe and fact exh manifolds.
Sorry, was typing that other reply and didn't see this one until after.

I'd probably opt to keep the Y. I hear ya on the room but mine's pretty roomy (under a full sundeck). I like wrenching my own stuff but I do hate it in tight spots. The reason I'd like to keep the Y is if I wanted to run a diverter in the future. I remember reading one post where someone tried all different kinds of exhausts and exits and liked a diverter (not switchable, just an open diverter) the best. Said it gave the best sound and still flowed well at higher RPMs.
Old 09-07-2016, 10:30 PM
SB
Registered

Originally Posted by Mercruiser
350 Crankshaft Horsepower

Same power and more torque than a 454 HO carbureted engine. This torque monster delivers 429 ft-lbs of raw torque at 3800 RPM to launch even the heaviest boats with authority. When equipped with the same marine exhaust headers as found on the 383 ScorpionŽ, this engine produces 370 HP and 456 ft-lbs of torque
Old 09-07-2016, 10:31 PM
SB
Registered

Originally Posted by Mercruiser
383 MAG Bravo
350 Crankshaft Horsepower

Same power and more torque than a 454 HO carbureted engine. This torque monster delivers 429 ft-lbs of raw torque at 3800 RPM to launch even the heaviest boats with authority. When equipped with the same marine exhaust headers as found on the 383 ScorpionŽ, this engine produces 370 HP and 456 ft-lbs of torque
Old 09-08-2016, 02:06 AM
Registered

I hear ya. My checkbook doesn't though. :-(

I'm hoping to get out for $1500 and I'm confident I can do it for 2k (exhaust not included). Let's call it $1750. Those CMI headers are $3500 not including hoses, diverters and/or silencers, and tips. That's a 300% price increase for a 6% increase in performance. LOL I'd love to have some stainless headers but the pricing on em is just over the top IMO.

I can swing a lightly used aluminum set. Maybe an aluminum manifold and stainless riser if I can find a really good deal.

Last edited by Gannz; 09-08-2016 at 07:53 PM.
Old 09-21-2016, 08:52 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by I.C.U.Lookin
Lt4 hotcam is on a 112 Lsa. You will need aftermarket exhaust for that. Stock exhaust will likely revert.
I ran that cam for a few years on stock merc exhaust with no issues.
Old 10-13-2016, 08:19 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Only reason you need thru prop is to stay quite around the docks. Plug off the gimble housing and outdrives. Home Depot 2.5 inch rubber pipe cap and a little grease.