2005 496 mag ho running hot

Notices

2005 496 mag ho running hot

Old 10-13-2016, 06:51 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 496 mag ho running hot

my apologies if this has been talked about but cant find anything on it. background, i bought the boat may 2015, every since then
the boat runs 190 degree and borderlines alarm status. i have changed seawater pump last year to the stainless hardin marine.
all the hoses were flushed out and clean. did not see a big difference, this year, same thing, had a thru hull water pick-up installed
because the plastic tube in outdrive was in bad shape. also, the hoses, heat exchanger all the coolers have been cleaned twice this year.
a few weeks ago, my thermostat stuck closed, when it opened, again to 190. i am in the process of changing thermostat and water temp gauge
sender. hoping this fixes it. However, here are my questions. if i use a heat gun to take temps off the motor, water, or ??? where do i aim the laser
to get the most accurate reading. and 2, should i change out ECT sensor and the Exhaust manifold sensors too? i know these will also go in alarm.
i dont have the scanner and trying not spend another 1500 dollars and not running the correct temp. i was hoping the wrong thermostat was the problem,
but a 160 degree was in place. thanks for the help!
Old 10-13-2016, 07:58 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

1) Go ahead and buy the scanner. It's only $500 and it will be the best $500 you EVER spend on the boat. www.rinda.com
2) What boat is it? Do you have a fresh water flush fitting (to hook up a garden hose)?
Old 10-13-2016, 09:04 PM
Registered
VIP Member

hello, thanks for responding. its a 2005 baja outlaw 25. yes it has the garden hose hook up. that was part of the thru hull water intake installation.
and yes, i do plan on getting a scanner, hope im not chasing the wrong thing because i dont have it yet
Old 10-14-2016, 07:18 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

The flush fitting has a Tee in it that goes to your Sea Water Pump. Inside that Tee-fitting, there is a spring loaded check-ball. Take this Tee fitting apart and remove the spring and ball. It's not needed, and actually is a huge liability as I have seen this assembly gum up with seaweed and debris on more than a few Bajas; that have all had persistent overheating problems.
Old 10-14-2016, 10:10 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm curious, what is it installed in?

I've noticed that if I run mine for a long time at higher RPMs the heat will start creeping up but if I crack the engine hatch on my Donzi 35 ZR, it will immediately drop back down.

Also as Sydwayz says, get the scanner...I needed the scanner to verify one of my gauges is full of it. It always says it is 10 degrees higher than it actually is.
Old 10-14-2016, 10:56 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Ok, thank you. I will look when i get from work.
Old 10-14-2016, 10:57 AM
Registered
VIP Member

2005 baja outlaw 25
Old 10-14-2016, 11:47 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

do you have smartcrat gauges ? They are pretty darn spot on especially with temps

saltwater app ? anytime ?

condition of heat exchanger, oil cooler and impeller housing ? condition of water circ pump and coolant ? condition of all groments and end cap seals thru out the cooling system ? Condition of the T stat and its related items.

Important ****** condition of check valves / balls - this is often missed for cooling related problems ,

Inlet water hoses kinked external side and or internal one

water jackets in the exhaust riser and exhaust manifolds not restricted at all ?

loose and or worn serpentine belt ?

Any leaks of water and or coolant ??

Clear hose method of testing for air bubbles in the cooling system

Volume water flow testing output - this will tell if in fact you are pumping enough volume of water to keep a specific engine app properly cooled.

Might want to find a really good tech that works on 496 's. That would include myself in the mix here.
A scan tool is not going to tell you where your problem is - unless your temp is off at the dash and compare that value. Water pressure values can be monitor but that really is not going to pin point your problem.

Heck you can test your temp gauge in various ways - one simple example is with a hand held temp gun and shoot it at the temp sensor to see what that temps reads then compare it to the temp at the dash. Also ohms test the temp sensor itself and while you heat it up. The same goes for the T stat testing,

Location of your boat ??
Old 10-14-2016, 12:34 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Holy moly, not sure about gauges, i know they say livorsi. Yes, saltwater boat now, bought it in Dallas. It gets flushed everytime, dont stop until water is hot.
Heat exchanger and coolers are good snd clean, seapump was installed august ladt year. Hardin marine stainless pump.
Circ pump??? Dont know yet
Coolant, i suspect its old, gotta change.
New thermostat i am installing today
Also new watertemp sensor
Where are the check valves, dont see anything like that.
Hoses are good, good flow
The manifolds and risers, dont know, praying they are ok.
Belt changed last year
No water or coolant leaks
Never checked for air bubbles, dont know how?
Water flow was good when new seapump put in, told everything good.
Thanks for the info, gonna try and work on tonight after work

Texas Gulf Coast

do you have smartcrat gauges ? They are pretty darn spot on especially with temps

saltwater app ? anytime ?

condition of heat exchanger, oil cooler and impeller housing ? condition of water circ pump and coolant ? condition of all groments and end cap seals thru out the cooling system ? Condition of the T stat and its related items.

Important ****** condition of check valves / balls - this is often missed for cooling related problems ,

Inlet water hoses kinked external side and or internal one

water jackets in the exhaust riser and exhaust manifolds not restricted at all ?

loose and or worn serpentine belt ?

Any leaks of water and or coolant ??

Clear hose method of testing for air

Volume water flow testing output - this will tell if in fact you are pumping enough volume of water to keep a specific engine app properly cooled.

Might want to find a really good tech that works on 496 's. That would include myself in the mix here.
A scan tool is not going to tell you where your problem is - unless your temp is off at the dash and compare that value. Water pressure values can be monitor but that really is not going to pin point your problem.

Heck you can test your temp gauge in various ways - one simple example is with a hand held temp gun and shoot it at the temp sensor to see what that temps reads then compare it to the temp at the dash. Also ohms test the temp sensor itself and while you heat it up. The same goes for the T stat testing,

Location of your boat ??[/QUOTE]
Old 10-14-2016, 02:58 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

So your in Texas ? and or the boat is currently ? Where did you buy it or from in Dallas ? If in fact was bought in Dallas probably repo boat and from the auction.
\
Salty dog internal cooling systems will have to be checkout very closely. I'm in DFW TX.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.