Notices

How to run a wideband?

Old 11-26-2016, 10:13 PM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Why not install it in the vertical section of the riser and do your best to get your afr set up quickly. This would mean plugging the sensor bung with a blank til you get out away from idle territory. Then install it once the engine is warm, skip over the idle part of the tach and get your afr at cruise and high speeds. Then, since reversion is an idle speed phenomenon, back down the rpms from 1500 or 1800 to idle real quick and shut down the engine while the sensor is installed. If you are concerned about ruining the sensor, remove it once you have a tune or if you need to spend extended time at idle. Or continue to run it and see if you have a reverting setup. If you kill a $70 sensor it's better than ruining your entire engine. Wetting the sensor doesn't destroy the entire kit.
I am getting a wideband this winter and was thinking I''d remove it once tuned. But now I'm planning to try running it full time. I didn't go all out with my cam, for a marine small block it has a lot of lift, normal lobe separation and greater than stock duration. So I'll have to see what I get.
Old 11-27-2016, 02:20 PM
Registered

Received 110 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by underpsi68
Leaded gas will kill a sensor fast.
Lead gas will not kill all sensors. Some are set up for it.
Old 11-27-2016, 02:27 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,091 Likes on 1,393 Posts

Originally Posted by trash
lead gas will not kill all sensors. Some are set up for it.
ntk ?
Old 11-27-2016, 06:42 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also water only kills them if they are powered up. If necessary you can leave the sensor off until you get above idle.
Old 11-27-2016, 07:42 PM
Registered

Received 110 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by SB
ntk ?
The Innovate sensor that comes with the MTX-L will take lead. I've done it and their documentation states "Wideband O2 Sensor is compatible with all fuel types (Leaded, Unleaded, Diesel, Methanol, E85, etc)". I believe its a Bosch unit.
Old 12-07-2016, 11:02 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by turbom700
I have a 5.3l in a ls running both stock and ls9 camshaft, both had horrible reversion issues. Just an FYI

Not sure how I'm going to fix it yet but I'm talking to a few cam suppliers and having a custom one made.

As far as 02's they work great for tuning but they wont last much over 10hrs. I'm running Holley HP efi on my set-up and I just turn closed loop off after I got everything dialed in. This is on a twin turbo LS on pump gas as well.
If you had a stock cam in a 5.3 and had "reversion" issues something is very wrong. They have NO overlap you can literally make them idle at 350 rpm. The LS9 is a VERY poor choice of a cam for a low compression NA 5.3 though, early EVO and veryyyy late intake closing. Ive been doing custom cams for LSx engines for 13 years or so

what was your boat and exh setup?
Old 12-08-2016, 01:37 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Never said it was NA infact its twin turbo's, it currently has a LS9 cam that a buddy give it to me to try out, didn't care to much for it but that was this fall, My winter project is to research cams and choice the right one(wether it be custom or not) not a lot of info out there about LS marine engine and even less when you start adding boost to them.

If you have any suggestions I'm all ears, I was just stating the issues I had.

Here is a pic of my set-up, Its PCM manifolds with custom adapters that go from the manifolds to a T3 turbo housing then out the turbos to a waterjacketed 3" stainless pipe that mix the water and exhaust 13" past the turbos.

Old 12-08-2016, 01:58 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by indysupra
I have had good Luck with running the innovate extenders to prolong the life of the sensor also.
What are "extenders" can you give me a link?

Mine always get a calcium deposit from the moisture....
Old 12-08-2016, 03:14 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by turbom700
Never said it was NA infact its twin turbo's, it currently has a LS9 cam that a buddy give it to me to try out, didn't care to much for it but that was this fall, My winter project is to research cams and choice the right one(wether it be custom or not) not a lot of info out there about LS marine engine and even less when you start adding boost to them.

If you have any suggestions I'm all ears, I was just stating the issues I had.

Here is a pic of my set-up, Its PCM manifolds with custom adapters that go from the manifolds to a T3 turbo housing then out the turbos to a waterjacketed 3" stainless pipe that mix the water and exhaust 13" past the turbos.
If its turbod thats even worse. The more backpressure it has the exponentially worse the problem would be compounded. What turbo exactly (turbine wheel etc) must be tiny turbines in T3 so I know backpressure has to be an issue. That silent choice setup closed at idle cant be helping much either for reversion with that back turn, and the manifold looks like it has hardly any runner length at all so thats killing all the tuning the long runner factory manifolds have designed in them which will cost every bit of 50 ft lbs of tq OUT of boost. Compounded in boost. And with that late intake valve closing point, the manifold would want to have that thing at 8500+ rpm.

Im sure you would be MUCH better off with a TBSS intake manifold, right cam, plumb discharge pipes into a A/W intercooler like the marine procharger kits use (like a racecar air/water) then into the TB. Tons better low midrange tq, less heat soak from manifold (your not only cooling off charge air with that setup your trying to cool engine block heat soak

The engine doesnt know its in a boat. All it knows is backpressure, manifold wave tuning and valvetrain dynamics and that setup doesnt look like it would make it very happy. Wait is your wideband between exh valve and turbine or after turbine?
Old 12-08-2016, 11:06 PM
Registered

Received 142 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Keith Atlanta
What are "extenders" can you give me a link?

Mine always get a calcium deposit from the moisture....
https://www.amazon.com/Innovate-Moto.../dp/B000CO9MFI

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.