Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
Upgraded alternator needed?  How big? >

Upgraded alternator needed? How big?

Notices

Upgraded alternator needed? How big?

Old 12-18-2016, 07:46 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Upgraded alternator needed? How big?

Going to be purchasing a new alternator for the boat and it will need to power a new stereo system (not ridiculous but good) as well as a flat screen and stereo system in the cabin. My friend who is going to be helping me said I should get a 200 amp version. What are your thoughts? I am not a stereo guy and really don't know what is needed or what is overkill?
thanks
Old 12-19-2016, 01:23 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Run it with the stock alternator and see how that works before upgrading to something you don't need.
Old 12-19-2016, 12:34 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

What do you have now ? A 40 amp max motorola with a single v belt? 90 amp on a serp?
Clearance issues and chronic belt slip can accompany a big upgrade from the puny base alternators .
I have seen people add a second alt to those systems, opposite the power steering pump.
If your running a serp, should be able to bolt a beefy oem alt on there especially if you convert to the cast aluminum mounting system , a worthy upgrade in itself if your running steel accessory mounts
Old 12-19-2016, 01:14 PM
Registered

This is an older motor so it has a V belt and the old alternator is a prestolite 3 wire so probably not much. I also read that the higher amp ones might require 2 v-belts because of the slippage and come with 2 belt pulleys. It does have a large steel accessory mount.

I was looking at something like this but they also have a 160 amp.
https://www.dbelectrical.com/product...sal-mount.html
Old 12-19-2016, 01:19 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Griff
Run it with the stock alternator and see how that works before upgrading to something you don't need.
I would but this is a new build and I have the original alternator and do not want to install it. It is from 1990 and do not even want to chance it.
Old 12-19-2016, 01:40 PM
Registered

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts

Make sure you confirm your wiring harness is up to the task (correct gauge) if increasing amperage output.
Old 12-19-2016, 02:54 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

stock merc usually about 65amp, I have used the the 100 amp single wire ones and worked great, and yes good idea to upgrade the wire from alt to starter as well
Old 12-20-2016, 12:57 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The alt upgrade is worthwhile if your running audio amps and multiple batteries. You will definetly need a bigger power wire , if you have a 3point alt mount you may be able to wing it with one good belt if you can string it tight enough but 2 belts is much better.
Old 12-20-2016, 04:38 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

The stock alternator wire, if I recall is 10 gauge, and, is not going to cut it when you upgrade alternators. I am running 100 AMP alternators on my engines, with 6 gauge wire from alternator to starter post. Single Vee belt on them, I have not had any belt slipping issues or anything like that. How big of a stereo system are we talking here?

http://www.genuinedealz.com/voltage-drop-calculator
Old 12-20-2016, 05:28 PM
Registered

Probably a couple of amps and a sub with a complete separate system for the cabin including a flat screen and video for the kids.

I have seen they have kits for these higher amp alternators
https://www.dbelectrical.com/product...y-0-gauge.html