Installing HP Transom Assemblies >

Installing HP Transom Assemblies

Notices

Installing HP Transom Assemblies

Old 03-13-2017, 06:57 PM
Registered

Received 471 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by 1MOSES1
Gaskets and any rubber material for that matter shrink, dry out, crack and eventually leak over time. What is everyone using 4200? Or something else? Thanks for the insight.
As before and still current, never seen it happen. Have heard of it happening but have not seen anything which verifies. Not saying it doesn't happen, just no proof of it happening with a properly installed assembly. Its always an opinion, just like mine
Old 03-17-2017, 12:27 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

No way you should ever use 5200 to put one one. You will need to cut it out with a saw! Even 4200 is going to be a pain. I would go with something less then that. All I am going to do is put some around the studs to keep water out of the transom. That is all Formula did when new. Even the 4200 that they put under my steering and transom assemblies ripped off some of the laminate not he back of the boat. Luckily it will be covered back up.
Old 05-02-2017, 08:34 AM
Registered

Received 790 Likes on 372 Posts

Installed assemblies last night. Everything went as expected with the exception of a small crack on the bottom of the inner plate. Crack didn't go all the way thru...cracked on the thin side of the plate. Probably gonna leave it but man those inner transom plates are cheap garbage. These were essentially brand new plates. Junk.
Old 05-02-2017, 08:48 AM
Registered

This isn't our plate but image of where it cracked..

https://i.imgur.com/V70OnVw.jpg
Old 05-02-2017, 06:59 PM
Registered

Received 471 Likes on 367 Posts

Put a wide washer on surface which has an angle, the washer will deform before the stud or bolt breaks. Install the same washer on a flat surface, the washer will stay flat until the stud or bolt breaks.

The plate doesn't need to be strong only flat. If the plate is installed on a flat surface, the plate would not crack. I would suggest removing the plate and use a straight edge and feeler gauges to see what the variations are. If this is not an option, remove the nut and use a feeler gauge behind the plate to see what the gap is, noting the plate has been cracked and will not rebound fully. might be able to get away with shim stock

Just my pinion
Old 05-07-2017, 01:20 PM
Registered

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

My new TA came from the factory with the gasket damaged so I added a bead of 4200. I would not have added anything if the gasket was ok but it was not.
Old 05-10-2017, 09:56 PM
Registered

ended up buying a new plate and shimming it. wasn't off much but it worked.