Notices

Oil Line Fittings

Old 03-13-2017, 04:42 PM
Registered

Received 1,490 Likes on 805 Posts

I followed your threads and if I recall you have a pretty good running fresh 540. Regardless I do agree with wanted to get rid of current oil cooling lines and cooler. There is another thread right now you probably saw regarding oil pressure dropping that's trying to get resolved. The cp universal engine/ps cooler would be an option however i think it might be for more of a stock replacement 454 mag cooler. The simplicity is nice though. The other cp one I have never seen nor used. I would make sure you get the proper size cooler for your engine and separate smaller cooler for the power steering.

Also it's easy to spend a couple of paychecks on fittings and hoses. Although not cheap either but simple and much less time consuming you can always look into push loc hose and fittings. Either 10 or 12 AN. I have used it with great success and am using again with current project. Less fittings the better.

Now fuel I think most would agree SS braided lines for safety reasons. In your case being NA is ver minimal anyway.

Just some thoughts and I hope all is going well with your boat.
Old 03-13-2017, 04:51 PM
Registered

Btw I forgot to mention regardless the oil cooler you decide to go with make sure you use an oil stat. I know it's more plumbing etc however most all would agree the importance of. There's days possible weeks you may run and the stat not even open however a 10 deg water temp can make all the difference in the world. Full Force posted a nice earls oil stat well labled for little over 100.00. Very good investment and important to any build.
Old 03-13-2017, 05:14 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for the reply. I don't mind making hoses as I have a summit local to me and I can do it fairly cheap. I did see the next larger size of the same cooler that I would probably get. I have to get all new power steering hoses as well as they are old and cracked so might as well do it correctly with fittings instead of hose clamps. I even have a great place to put it for minimal hose lengths and easy access.
Old 03-13-2017, 06:56 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

Go on the Summit website, there are conversion fittings for almost everything. start with power steering and (-AN) you can get a few till you find one that fits. I found one that finally fit the 496 8.1 oil filter cover. It was some 22MM wackjob thread. But they had it. Power steering fittings converted to AN are easy. Just look it up.
Old 03-13-2017, 07:13 PM
Registered

If you do decide to go separate coolers I have a like new 500 efi 2 1/2" X 19" engine oil cooler in the swap. What was your hp you ended up with? I thought you were around 600 plus but I could very well be wrong. I just remember you having a nice build and a nice shiny boat.
Old 03-14-2017, 08:10 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you change, do it right from the start, good block mount w/ 1/2npt #10 lines, the twist lock ones work well(just make sure you get hose fittings from same manufature) good filter mount(moroso, canton, etc) decent cooler again with 1/2 fittings..they are around most everywhere
Old 03-14-2017, 08:56 AM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

I see all the car stuff on summit's site is 1/2" npt but a lot of the boat cooler and remote filter housings you can get in 3/4" NPT. I know getrdun mentioned another thread where someone was having low oil pressure. I don't think I will have that issue so I would prefer to run the larger hose if possible. This thing was doing pretty good on the dyno for pressure. I agree with doing it right so if anyone has any suggestions that I may have not mentioned please let me know as I am still new to this.
Anyone have experience with the Dan Olsen cooler? I like that it is attached to the block and compact.
Old 03-14-2017, 11:40 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

Just a couple things. First most of the fittings on oil cooling systems are 1/2" even though they use 5/8 hose. Second, make sure any fittings and elbows and such do not restrict you oil flow. Taken more then one motor apart that had 5/8's hoses that were choked down to 3/8 by fitting trying to get it to work with a smaller cooler and such. Just remember that your oil flow will only be as good as your smallest fitting.
Old 03-14-2017, 03:43 PM
Registered

Received 143 Likes on 95 Posts

I just yanked everything out and went with -12 and units with 3/4" fittings to skip all of the issues so many people are having. I went push locks and recommend buying straight ip-An adaptors and put all of the bends on the AN side of things as the pipe fittings are sharp angles.
Old 03-14-2017, 07:44 PM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Ive been using the Fragola brand fittings lately and they are good quality , call Race Parts Solutions in Georgia they will give you a good deal . For the custom high end
hose and fittings I use Brown & Miller in Concord NC , they also mandrel bend SS tubing . ( ALL the napcar teams use them )

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.