Notices

Oil Line Fittings

Old 03-12-2017, 08:35 AM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Oil Line Fittings

After installing my engine I have decided to replace all the oil line as they are old and I cannot figure out how they had the whole setup in the boat anyways. It has OMC stuff on if that makes any difference. I was looking online and can't seem to find these exact fittings. They look like a hydraulic fitting to me with an o-ring and the line is 5/8.
Old 03-12-2017, 09:06 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

they look the same as PS fittings, if I were you I would change everything out to reg pipe thread and an fittings, going to be tuff finding that stuff now, even special hose places dont carry much of that...
Old 03-12-2017, 09:13 AM
Registered

Received 471 Likes on 367 Posts

OMC does make a difference. What motor and I'll guess its a 1990 version as seen in your sig?

Changing everything would be easiest, but cost the most , maybe
Old 03-12-2017, 09:26 AM
Registered

Thanks guys, this is what I was thinking I was going to have to do. I was trying to find fittings to adapt to AN fittings so I can just run AN hose but was not thinking this would be my luck.

Yes this is a 1990 and unfortunately they put stock OMC oil cooler crap and an OMC electrical harness in a custom boat. I bought the boat as a project and trying to figure out the wiring is a total joke too as there are some hookups that are not used (knock sensor and other sensor hookups) and of course does not install in a location it was meant for. My buddy is a mechanic and great with electrical and said he wants to just make a completely new harness. Anyone ever do that? Not much to them from what we looked at.
Old 03-12-2017, 09:35 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

It takes some buying and returning to find just the right one.
Old 03-12-2017, 09:49 AM
Registered

Custom is easy and doesn't take that much to accomplish, builders use them quite often

http://www.cpperformance.com/product...ng-harness.htm
Old 03-12-2017, 08:47 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When ever I get a project boat, 1st thing I do if any of the wiring is questionable, rip it all out and build a new wiring harness from scratch. That way you know what you have. If you should have a problem down the line at least you know about the wiring. I have done all of my own engine harnesses for years. Never had any problems. I have redesigned many dashes and built the harness from dash to motor. If you take your time and do it right, you will never regret the time it took to do. It's the best insurance you can have. Piece of mind that you did it right.
Old 03-13-2017, 04:04 PM
Registered

I was looking at oil coolers to replace and I saw this one had both coolers in one. Would this be large enough for my setup? Also, this will be a Tahoe boat that will have pretty cold raw water cooling it.
http://www.cpperformance.com/p-13484...on-cooler.aspx
This also looks interesting as you have no plumbing. Anyone have any experience with these?
http://www.cpperformance.com/p-14266...34-length.aspx
Old 03-13-2017, 04:37 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,051 Likes on 1,357 Posts

The thing is with those 6 foot cannon plug you still need to use part of the other harness,or at least I did. I just wired my two engines with the ebasics one, the factory Merc. harness has all the grounds and power leads bonded together inside the wrapping. I found it easier to reuse the large power and ground wires going to the alternator and starter and bring all the grounds to a terminal block and all the power off the Aux side of a 50amp breaker.
Old 03-13-2017, 04:41 PM
Registered

With your motor being stock, the combo cooler should work fine. Looks to be the same as used on older Merc 454
http://www.mercruiserparts.com/bam/s...31802/1621/300

Have not used the other item

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.