boat repower Q? SBC to LSx & OMC to Bravo 3 >

boat repower Q? SBC to LSx & OMC to Bravo 3

Notices

boat repower Q? SBC to LSx & OMC to Bravo 3

Old 03-29-2017, 08:02 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,115 Likes on 1,402 Posts

Remember, Kodiak has been using the LS's for a long time. They offer exhausts, closed cooling, waterpumps, and a hole lot of misc stuff.
Here is their catalog with no prices, doh !
http://www.kemequipment.com/manuals/...-book-2014.pdf
Old 04-03-2017, 07:25 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

The OMC on your boat is an OMC Cobra. Decent copy of alpha 1. All the drive strength you need for a 17 foot boat. There are lots of parts around for them. I don't think a B3 is an upgrade on boat that size. Bunch extra weight behind transom. You wanna do LS swap, I won't call you crazy, but TBI swap is a LOT less doing. Best bet would be to splurge on a new carb...
Old 04-03-2017, 08:24 AM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

while i love the ls platform,i just can,t see this swap being cost effective.i don,t know what year the boat is or what it is worth but to me it seems like a lot of work&money .i don,t disagree with mr maine,s assessment.i don,t think he was being a dik,but rather i think he was being real.maybe he was taken wrong on his comment,emotions sometimes get thrown in the mix rather than plain old facts.good luck no matter what you decide to do.edit in,i reread the origional post and see the boat is a 1989,not sure how i missed that fact.

Last edited by mike tkach; 04-03-2017 at 08:29 AM.
Old 04-03-2017, 01:11 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thats a lot of drag , weight , and hp absorption swapping a b3 to a 17' boat with a 360 or so cubic inches for power. At 2gs you may be able to scrounge a volvo penta duoprop .much better on smaller lighter boats .
A set of rhs or dart iron heads and a stroker rotating assy, modern cam in the block you have ,with a ram jet manifold will get you ls power and still be raw water cooled and decent fuel consumption .
With a vp dp drive and even worn aluminum props , the holeshot from your 17 foot boat will be breathtaking.
Old 04-04-2017, 11:22 PM
Registered

Received 143 Likes on 95 Posts

While experience has me siding with Mr. Maine, many folks are running $50k worth of motors in a $5k hull with a 50% recovery value on investment when sold. If you like problem solving and spinning wrenches it could be a fun project.