Converting engine from Bravo setup to Alpha setup >

Converting engine from Bravo setup to Alpha setup

Notices

Converting engine from Bravo setup to Alpha setup

Old 07-25-2017, 08:40 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 87MagnumII
Lots of good info here. Thank you everybody. I did find the Alpha and Bravo versions of the 350 Mag Mpi on mercs reman website. To me, it seems easier just to buy the engine for the correct application instead of trying to change things and make it work. If decide to do it I'll keep everybody posted through the transition process. Now for the most important question, how much speed will be gained from the old engine to the new? Boat currently runs a best of about 57mph with a carbed 350 Mag.
My guess is 60 ish
Old 07-25-2017, 08:47 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm guessing 63-64. Guy I know has a boat same as mine and he runs 64.7 with a 350 mag and bravo
Old 07-25-2017, 11:52 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

changing over to a alpha from a bravo then using a good matched prop with the alpha Gen 2 will be fast 2 mph faster min than a Bravo.
Old 07-25-2017, 11:59 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Possible I am not reading some of these posts correctly but I will add correct info to clearify. There is 1000s of ECM 555 -- MPI 350 MAG with HVS ignition set up with shift interuptor switch using an Alpha GEN 2 outdrive in OEM stock form. sold brand new from 2001 to 2010 NON Catalyst engines.

here is just some of the serial numbers runs of the 350 MAG MPI Alpha GEN 2 in the link below as an example --- also there is the MPI 5.0 and the MPI 4.3 with the HVS ignition and shift interuptor switch using an Alpha GEN 2 in the 1000s as well.

MerCruiser 350 Mag MPI Alpha / Bravo Engine & Stern Drive by Component

and here is the more current serial number runs NON Catalyst MPI 350 mag with HVS / ecm 555 Alpha gen 2 outdrives. Like I said there is 1000s of them out there

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/me...vo/1a611928-up

Last edited by BUP; 07-26-2017 at 12:11 AM.
Old 07-26-2017, 05:09 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

so you have a 350 carb alpha boat that currently runs about 57 mph? and you want to do all this converting and replace the engine for a couple 3 mph more? what is this engine gonna cost? 3 to 4 k? and as soon as you have enough power to hit mid-60's you are gonna wish that alpha was a bravo. but if you really want to hop up that boat, I would consider a re-ring on that block and upgrade heads-intake-exhaust-cam on it. fuel injection is not by definition faster or more powerful than a carb.
Old 07-26-2017, 06:33 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dereknkathy
so you have a 350 carb alpha boat that currently runs about 57 mph? and you want to do all this converting and replace the engine for a couple 3 mph more? what is this engine gonna cost? 3 to 4 k? and as soon as you have enough power to hit mid-60's you are gonna wish that alpha was a bravo. but if you really want to hop up that boat, I would consider a re-ring on that block and upgrade heads-intake-exhaust-cam on it. fuel injection is not by definition faster or more powerful than a carb.
wont have to convert anything now that I know they make an alpha ready version if the MPI. I built a carb 350 for my last boat. While it would be cheaper it's a lot of work, same as if I tear mine down and re ring it and freshen it up. Wife is also showing interest in driving the boat as well and the idea of hit the key and go is appealing.