Notices

496 ho warning buzzer

Old 07-30-2017, 07:41 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 496 ho warning buzzer

New to this site so any info could help. My buddy has 04 outlaw 496 ho. Warning buzzer came on on us just when we coming into ramp after a short run, running about 45 mph let off to slow down just thought it was the warning for low fuel.Fueled the boat went to go out yesterday and buzzer was still on, not solid buzzer every minute 2 beeps.Got the techmate pro hooked up has all the normal codes that everybody seems to have steerckt,fuelcircuithigh,.Cleared the codes and buzzer is still on. Did a whole bunch research on here got a few ideas but just wondering if anybody can steer me in right direction to start. Boat fires up fine idles fine we didn't run it on the water cuz we didn't wanna f""" anything up. Thanks for any help
Old 07-31-2017, 12:36 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

there is no warning from the PCM 555 or ECM 555 for low fuel or low fuel pressure, But will add for extra info - certain MEFI 3 on the 5.7 and 6.2 did have a fuel pressure sensor,

most faults that show are defaulted fault codes cause the sensor are not incorp in that specific app.

I would proper change . install the IAC - and related parts and procedures for that. IAC is the number one 2 beep per warning fault. Next is water pressure / and or its sensor another junk sensor Merc uses made in Mexico (that sensor is).

All 2 beep per / warning faults are sensor related for PCM 555 and ECM 555. There is proper ways to read a scan that pin points the faults / running issues even without warning faults listed and or no warning horns going off.

If you are close to DFW Texas look me up. There is more to just replacing a sensor on the 496 to keep a turn key boat and a properly running boat adding longevity to your app. So much properly maintenance is missed on the 496 more so than any other engine I see for a NON Catalyst engine app. .
Old 07-31-2017, 08:48 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by BUP
there is no warning from the PCM 555 or ECM 555 for low fuel or low fuel pressure, But will add for extra info - certain MEFI 3 on the 5.7 and 6.2 did have a fuel pressure sensor,

most faults that show are defaulted fault codes cause the sensor are not incorp in that specific app.

I would proper change . install the IAC - and related parts and procedures for that. IAC is the number one 2 beep per warning fault. Next is water pressure / and or its sensor another junk sensor Merc uses made in Mexico (that sensor is).

All 2 beep per / warning faults are sensor related for PCM 555 and ECM 555. There is proper ways to read a scan that pin points the faults / running issues even without warning faults listed and or no warning horns going off.

If you are close to DFW Texas look me up. There is more to just replacing a sensor on the 496 to keep a turn key boat and a properly running boat adding longevity to your app. So much properly maintenance is missed on the 496 more so than any other engine I see for a NON Catalyst engine app. .
thanks for the reply I ended up getting a scanner and it seems to be the iac valve should have one by Wednesday. Have been doing some research and the motors do seem to have there common problems. I would look u up but we are up in Ontario Canada. Boat has just over 400 hours on it and always been a fresh water boat just wondering what else I should check for him or any preventative maintenance I can do for him. He's not a handy guy when it comes to this stuff. Either I do appreciate the reply and from what I have seen on this site your very knowledgeable with mercs. Couple little marinas around us but nobody really deals with higher performance boats close to us. Thanks again
Old 07-31-2017, 09:11 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,088 Likes on 1,390 Posts

If you do a search here, if you didn't already, we show the ford part# for the OE IAC.
Old 08-07-2017, 01:38 PM
BUP
Banned

Adding info you have to watch what aftermarket brand IAC is bought because their operation duty cycle are not the same as Mercs. I have seen some run at 40% and even higher duty cycle at dead idle in which is too high. The higher the duty cycle --- the hotter the IAC runs --- too much heat melts the connector and then can also knock out the PCM = IAC driver internally in the PCM .

I have done this comparison to what Merc sells for an IAC many of times. About half of the time the aftermarket IAC's do not operate the same PWM. Actually for ECM / PCM 555 one of the best tools in a tool box to have --- other than a current scan tool is a brand new IAC and water pressure sensor for testing purposes. A lot of the time IAC faults do not show up. its shows and sometimes not at all when its going bad or has failed.
Old 08-07-2017, 01:45 PM
BUP
Banned

Merc IAC are made here in the USA - CURRENTLY. The Mexico and Asian made ones are some of what the aftermarket brands are. There is one out that is complete junk but I could never get what brand it was from the boat owner. He bought it on line. It was like 45 to 50 bucks shipped per his words.