Twin Engine Build Need help with specs and options

Old 08-12-2017, 05:29 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Walk away.
Old 08-18-2017, 12:53 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 5 Posts

As one who has played the restore game, I would strongly suggest that you run away from this boat as fast as you can.

I am trying to finish a 29 Fountain Fever as we speak. This was a low hour boat and seemed to be mechanically sound. It needed new skins and carpet and some buffing and polish.

I decided I wanted to do the top end of the 525SC. Let's put a more agressive roller cam. Aluminum heads would be a good thing. Why not swap the 177 for a 250 blower. Fuel injection for easy starting, better drive ability, and maybe better fuel economy. Thankfully we checked the lower end and it needed crank turned, new rods,bearings so we did not spend all that money and then have it swarm.Time for new 540. -2 imco and 5 blade prop.

The cosmetic journey was about the same. I did not like the dated teal and pink/purple color and graphics. Remove the old. New paint and graphics. Makes the old windshield and rub rail look bad, so replace that. Dash, gauges, steering wheel, look horrible with everything else new so replace all that. Oh, it needs a new big stereo too.

When I get through, I will have a nice sharp mechanically sound boat that should provide many hours of fun. But If I were to sell it, I would be lucky to get half of my money back.

Bottom line, approach any restoration with great caution. At the very least, it will cost twice as much to restore and take twice as long to complete!