Fuel pump location help BAJA 38 special

Notices

Fuel pump location help BAJA 38 special

Old 08-27-2017, 11:52 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel pump location help BAJA 38 special

Hey guys first time posting.

Where is where I am, I have a 1997 Baja 38 Special. I am not super boat savy buy I am very mechanically savy. I am having issues with back fire at idle, then when I up the throtle its almost like its bogged down. Just no power. If I let it run a little everything comes back and the boat runs just like it should. I have been running thought the forums and another member had a exactly problem. it turned out to be the fuel pump and regulator..... I of course am going to replace the plugs and wires just in case. But in the off chance that doesnt fix the problem I am going to do the regulator.

There is where the problem lies.. I have no idea where the pump is I assume it is near the gas tank but I am not qualified to get up in the bowels of the boat if that is the case... If it is in the engine bay, I would like to tackle this myself but if not I will have the marina do it.

Can someone shed some light that on where I might find this fuel pump/regulator?
Old 08-27-2017, 11:58 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,040 Likes on 1,353 Posts

We need to know what engines are in it, 502 mpi ??
Old 08-29-2017, 10:44 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sorry guys

Sorry forgot that it has Mercury 496 HO in it
Old 08-29-2017, 11:23 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 939 Likes on 471 Posts

Since the 496's came out around 2001 then they are not stock to the boat from the factory.....and since boats dont have the fuel pumps in the gas tanks you don't much have to worry about that( all though the newer ski boats i have seen with some in-tank models!)
Depending on how new the motors are you are going to look for a fuel filter on the left lower corner of the motor....and behind it should be the fuel pump....if not then you looking for a black box and the fuel pump'(s) will be inside....either way the easiet thing you can do is just follow the fuel line from in front of the motor to where it hooks up, and the pump should be near by....

This is all assuming the motors haven't been "customized"

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!