Steering Play >

Steering Play

Notices

Steering Play

Old 02-27-2008, 11:49 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering Play

I have a 1987 22 classic with 181 hrs. It has a 454 mag with an Alpha 1 (all original) the boat is immaculate. I just bought the thing and have driven it twice. I was wondering if any one knew how much play should be in the steering. It also seems to be stiff as well. The fluid is good and there are no leaks anywhere and the power steering pump doesn't make any noise. Someone suggested that it may be the steering gimble, but the boat only has 181 hours and no corrosion anywhere. Are there any rubber bushings anywhere? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-28-2008, 08:29 AM
Registered

Hours are only one measure, age plays into this as well. When it's running do you feel any torque in the wheel? If not then the power steering system is doing it's job and that's probably not the problem. You may need to replace the steering cable / helm, especially if it's original. The cable binding up is typical as well as excessive play at the helm.

The entire system will have a fair amount of play by virtue of it's design. One thing to check on the Alpha is the connection between the tiller arm (the part that comes through the transom and connects to the steering cable) and the outdrive gimbal housing. The system uses a pin that comes up through the gimbal ring. The tiller arm attached to that pin and depending on the year is either a square connection or a splined shaft. This connection point wears with age and can get sloppy. Have that looked at by a competent Mercruiser mechanic, they can usually tell if it's in need of repair.
Old 02-29-2008, 12:57 AM
Registered

should I be able to see the fluid in the p/s res moving at all, even idled up to 1500 rpm or so? What is an acceptable amount of play in the steering? It feels like I'm driving a worn out 39 ford.
Old 02-29-2008, 06:59 AM
Lakeside Restorations.com
Commercial Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My guess is your gimble ring & sterring pinion are worn. The sterring cable & helm may be a bit worn as well.. Jamie / Lakeside