Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Donzi
Looking at 99' 28zx, few questions... >

Looking at 99' 28zx, few questions...

Notices

Looking at 99' 28zx, few questions...

Old 02-13-2009, 01:11 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking at 99' 28zx, few questions...

Hi everyone. I'm not new to boating but performance one's yes. Looking at a 99' 28zx, two step hull, bravo drives (120 hrs), new crate 350 mags (0 hrs, owner didn't winterize and cracked blocks). This would be my first performance boat and am looking for any suggestions on certain things I should look for before I buy this thing. Apparently they are supposed to go 70 mph +/- stock does this sound reasonable? Would definately like to get 90 out of it with prochargers if possible, don't laugh at a newbie please. Is this attainable or asking too much? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 02-13-2009, 06:06 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TonkaLBZ
Hi everyone. I'm not new to boating but performance one's yes. Looking at a 99' 28zx, two step hull, bravo drives (120 hrs), new crate 350 mags (0 hrs, owner didn't winterize and cracked blocks). This would be my first performance boat and am looking for any suggestions on certain things I should look for before I buy this thing. Apparently they are supposed to go 70 mph +/- stock does this sound reasonable? Would definately like to get 90 out of it with prochargers if possible, don't laugh at a newbie please. Is this attainable or asking too much? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
They are nice boats and have a great ride for something that size. You will get 70 or so with those engines. The hull loves big power. Adding boost to stock power will get you into the 80's. There is one with worked over small blocks and lots of boost that will run close to 100.
Old 02-13-2009, 08:27 AM
Lakeside Restorations.com
Commercial Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Zx is a great hull. & Bill is right they do respond well to bigger power. I have upgraded quite a few of them. They also handle the rough rather well.. Jamie
Old 02-13-2009, 07:26 PM
Registered

I really looked high and low for a hull to run with big power. I was not looking for a race boat. I wanted a nice big cockpit, roomy cabin and good ride. I am a Donzi guy but I was told that the 26ZX was a single engine slug. I bought one and went with some big power. I don't regret it at all. My boat rides very well, is large for a 26 footer and runs WELL into the 90's. It is a nice looking boat and is big fun.

Get one and enjoy
Old 02-13-2009, 10:02 PM

Watch adding big power to the 1999 Model, depending when the boat was built she may be the older hull, the easy was to know is the windscreen more round then squared? The steps were moved on the new models late 99 but were labled 2000. the boat handles well at 72 but at 80 she just out right will try to throw you out. Damn Donzi was a 1998 and she was a single engine raceboat that was a total handfull at 80mph the bottoms were redone because of the chine walk issue. Donzi hit a homerun with the 1999 26 ZX Boat of the Year and a great hull. Now they took the same hull late 1999 and made the 28ZX and the next year was boat of the year. The 1999 was a nice boat good rough water boat and ran nice at 70-72 but don't go for more on that hull.
Old 02-13-2009, 10:18 PM
Registered

By looking at the pictures it seems less round. Does that make it the early 99'. I plan to add power so if the hull won't take it I might keep looking.
Old 02-14-2009, 11:04 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Shanghied Again
Watch adding big power to the 1999 Model, depending when the boat was built she may be the older hull, the easy was to know is the windscreen more round then squared? The steps were moved on the new models late 99 but were labled 2000. the boat handles well at 72 but at 80 she just out right will try to throw you out. Damn Donzi was a 1998 and she was a single engine raceboat that was a total handfull at 80mph the bottoms were redone because of the chine walk issue. Donzi hit a homerun with the 1999 26 ZX Boat of the Year and a great hull. Now they took the same hull late 1999 and made the 28ZX and the next year was boat of the year. The 1999 was a nice boat good rough water boat and ran nice at 70-72 but don't go for more on that hull.
Actually the Damn Donzi was a 27ZX single engine. It was the only hull that Donzi has campaigned in F-1 racing. It is the same hull that became the 28ZX. I heard the same thing about the 27ZX step hull. My friend built up a 27ZX step (1997). He talked to Donzi as he was doing his build up because he had the same concerns. The chine walk was driven by the boat climbing up on the small pad in the back. The hull hits a transitional phase in the high 70's but once you get it on the pad all is well. It just takes enough beans to do it quickly. Donzi mentioned that this seemed to be exaggerated in the race boat since it was light in the ass end.

When Brian Rose did his 27ZX he started with around 700hp. It proved enough power to smash through the transitional phase and get all the way up on the pad. Then it ran like it was on rails. He got low 80's to 85 on 700hp with NO problems. Yes, if you hold it at 78 it will get squirrely. I have personally driven the boat through all of this and know it to be true. He is now running around 800 or so hp. His boat runs 90 easily and has run 93. It likes a little tap input in the high 80's.

I heard the same thing about my 1999 26ZX. It does not have the same lower strake as the earlier 27/28ZX but other than that it has pretty much the same running surface. We have done a side by side comparison. We will break out the tape measure this spring. I was told that my 26ZX would be totally out of control in the 90's. It is not. Now that beings said, you have to be carefull with it. If you hit a nasty side wake at speeds over 85 it can get out of shape. So will many single engines that run that fast. Any sub 30 footer that runs in the 90's should be treated with respect. Its all in the setup.
Old 02-14-2009, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by TonkaLBZ
By looking at the pictures it seems less round. Does that make it the early 99'. I plan to add power so if the hull won't take it I might keep looking.
Yes that would be the early model.
Old 02-14-2009, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by ZXXX Donzi
Actually the Damn Donzi was a 27ZX single engine. It was the only hull that Donzi has campaigned in F-1 racing. It is the same hull that became the 28ZX. I heard the same thing about the 27ZX step hull. My friend built up a 27ZX step (1997). He talked to Donzi as he was doing his build up because he had the same concerns. The chine walk was driven by the boat climbing up on the small pad in the back. The hull hits a transitional phase in the high 70's but once you get it on the pad all is well. It just takes enough beans to do it quickly. Donzi mentioned that this seemed to be exaggerated in the race boat since it was light in the ass end.

When Brian Rose did his 27ZX he started with around 700hp. It proved enough power to smash through the transitional phase and get all the way up on the pad. Then it ran like it was on rails. He got low 80's to 85 on 700hp with NO problems. Yes, if you hold it at 78 it will get squirrely. I have personally driven the boat through all of this and know it to be true. He is now running around 800 or so hp. His boat runs 90 easily and has run 93. It likes a little tap input in the high 80's.

I heard the same thing about my 1999 26ZX. It does not have the same lower strake as the earlier 27/28ZX but other than that it has pretty much the same running surface. We have done a side by side comparison. We will break out the tape measure this spring. I was told that my 26ZX would be totally out of control in the 90's. It is not. Now that beings said, you have to be carefull with it. If you hit a nasty side wake at speeds over 85 it can get out of shape. So will many single engines that run that fast. Any sub 30 footer that runs in the 90's should be treated with respect. Its all in the setup.
The Donzi 27ZX was 27'7" length same hull as the 28ZX till 1999. The boat runs great with a single engine "Weight Ratio" and yes you are right between 75-80 she gets hairy and can get pulled out after 80.

The hull was changed in late 1999 the moved the steps closer together made them more mid like on your 26ZX and you can only order the boat with twin 350s or Scorpions.

Damn Donzi was actually light in the front she was designed with fiberglass insert for two people to stand and no cushions, The boat ran like a top on the water I have been in her.

If the 1999 was a single big block I would power her out but the twin small blocks extra weight will add more walk.
The only way I would power up that boat is get rid of the small tabs, but on K-Planes and full hydraulic steering.

I ran some of the fastest small boats and even had a 22ZX up to 90. My 26ZX had the engine built up and she ran 85.
The fastest I ever went in a small 27 was a kryptonite with 1200hp at 130mph. Not counting my drag boat that ran 145.

My Nephew has a 1997 27ZX with a 502 worked with a supercharger XR drive and she nails 90 but like you said you have to push her out of the 78mph range, he has no pad.

I use to sell Donzi's and went through the changes on the boats.
Old 02-14-2009, 01:31 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Shanghied Again
The Donzi 27ZX was 27'7" length same hull as the 28ZX till 1999. The boat runs great with a single engine "Weight Ratio" and yes you are right between 75-80 she gets hairy and can get pulled out after 80.

The hull was changed in late 1999 the moved the steps closer together made them more mid like on your 26ZX and you can only order the boat with twin 350s or Scorpions.

Damn Donzi was actually light in the front she was designed with fiberglass insert for two people to stand and no cushions, The boat ran like a top on the water I have been in her.

If the 1999 was a single big block I would power her out but the twin small blocks extra weight will add more walk.
The only way I would power up that boat is get rid of the small tabs, but on K-Planes and full hydraulic steering.

I ran some of the fastest small boats and even had a 22ZX up to 90. My 26ZX had the engine built up and she ran 85.
The fastest I ever went in a small 27 was a kryptonite with 1200hp at 130mph. Not counting my drag boat that ran 145.

My Nephew has a 1997 27ZX with a 502 worked with a supercharger XR drive and she nails 90 but like you said you have to push her out of the 78mph range, he has no pad.

I use to sell Donzi's and went through the changes on the boats.
Hey Frank,

Did you upgrade your 26ZX with some K-planes? I am doing this with mine this spring and am wondering about the placement. I has some real planes on my 27ZX and think that they will make a nice addition to my 26

You brought up an interesting point about the 27ZX-28ZX. Somewhere in the 27 - early 28 era there seemed to be some subtle differences in hulls. We have noticed some that seemed to have a lighter layup and it seems that some have small keel pads and some don't. I have noticed the same with the bottom strake on the back step. I guess that they were playing around with different ideas but am not sure.

Quick Reply: Looking at 99' 28zx, few questions...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.