27zr vs 28 zx >

27zr vs 28 zx

Notices

27zr vs 28 zx

Old 09-07-2009, 04:06 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 27zr vs 28 zx

I'm back in the market for a smaller boat, and looking for something fun. I've found a few donzi 28 zx's locally with some twin 350 mags, and twin scorpions, and debating on getting one and procharging the motors.

Basically looking for a boat that will run 85MPH to 90MPH+ when I want it to, but spend most of the day cruising at around 35MPH to 50MPH.

I've also been looking at the 27ZR...and considering this option with a single big block, or even an ilmor since i'm seeing some of them for sale now on the net...

Can anyone give me some guidance in which way to go??? I like hte ideas of the twins with prochargers, but a single ilmor in a 27 would be something different, can anyone think of how this would handle?
Old 09-09-2009, 09:28 AM
Registered

All I can give you is some ZR advice. I bought mine in 2/07 & haven't regretted it for a minute. Fast, solid, efficient boat that we have really enjoyed.

I had the same decision to make as you but ultimately went the single route because I wanted the updated design of the ZR & the lower operating cost. Mine is bone stock still with a 496 HO. It would run 72 with the 4 blade but I did some swapping & settled with a labbed Maximus 27 to get better cruise since that was my ultimate goal. Cost me a couple mph up top but the boat cruises 50 right at peak torque of 3650-3700. We spend 80-90% of our time there so that was most important. My long term plan is a Raylar 525 kit to get me up to near 80 & call it good but I'm really happy with the way the boat performs as is.

Good luck with your search. They are both great boats!
J
Old 09-09-2009, 10:40 AM
SeaRay Sundancer
Gold Member

The ZX is a bigger boat with more headroom and twins. The ZR is low slung and smaller. Neither are going to hit 85mph without lots of money dumper into them. Id be looking for something else if that speed was my goal....something that already can go that fast.
Old 09-09-2009, 06:11 PM
Registered

I'm kind of limited with size, and either a 27 or 28 will be able to sit in my garage. I guess I don't NEED 90mph, but 80 or 85 would suffice... I don't mind having a bit of a project boat..

I guess running on lakes, and the st lawrence river, with the odd run out onto lake ontario is the type of boating I do...anyone have any recommendations??

Will I get the same top end out of either the zr or the zx? If so, I'm assuming the ZR will be less gas to operate it, less maintenance bills, and when I blow something up, I'll just have to fix one instead of 2 motors right???
Old 09-09-2009, 07:34 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by joejohn
I'm kind of limited with size, and either a 27 or 28 will be able to sit in my garage. I guess I don't NEED 90mph, but 80 or 85 would suffice... I don't mind having a bit of a project boat..

I guess running on lakes, and the st lawrence river, with the odd run out onto lake ontario is the type of boating I do...anyone have any recommendations??

Will I get the same top end out of either the zr or the zx? If so, I'm assuming the ZR will be less gas to operate it, less maintenance bills, and when I blow something up, I'll just have to fix one instead of 2 motors right???
If you want 85 you will need to spend a little on either. I don't really know of anything that size that hits 85 stock for that matter. It won't take a huge sum though.

Single vs twins? The debate can go on. You will be easier on the drives with twins. If you want 85 and can handle a smaller boat then a ZR with a 525 should be close. The 27 will be easier to work on since the compartment has more room.
Old 09-10-2009, 08:24 AM
Registered

I'd go with the Ilmor just for the WOW factor
Old 09-10-2009, 11:43 AM
Registered

Oh, & we have over-nighted on my 27ZR several times w/o issue. That being said, it's not a cabin cruiser. If you want to go down there & hang out all day, neither one of these is probably the right answer. On the other hand, if you want a cabin that is used mainly for day storage & the occasional stay on the water, the 27ZR works fine.
J
Old 09-10-2009, 01:54 PM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

joejohn, are you only wanting donzi? used or new?
Old 09-10-2009, 08:05 PM
Registered

so far its just been the donzi's that i've seen that I like..sleek, simple design, they just look sharp, and fit my requirements...i also want a bit of a project boat that I can keep playing with, tweaking over a few years...hence why I'm not afraid of pro/whipple chargers...
Old 09-11-2009, 01:33 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by joejohn
so far its just been the donzi's that i've seen that I like..sleek, simple design, they just look sharp, and fit my requirements...i also want a bit of a project boat that I can keep playing with, tweaking over a few years...hence why I'm not afraid of pro/whipple chargers...
I did a 26ZX as my project boat and have been very happy. It is good looking, handles rough water well and runs HARD.

Either of these projects would be cool. I like the ZR idea because nobody has put big power in one yet. It would be a runner.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.