38 ZR planing >

38 ZR planing

Notices

38 ZR planing

Old 07-26-2010, 08:23 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 38 ZR planing

Hi guys- getting used to my new 38 ZR, have a question for others with a 38- how do you get on plane? I have 525's with ITS, 34p 5 blade Maximus, normally I set the tabs on about 6, drives at 1, give it some gas until the props start to blow out, back off a little then back on the gas. I was told by someone with quite a bit of experience that when they blow out I should just give them a second or two and then power up through it and they'll hook up. I have never heard of this, and didn't think it sounded good for the drives and props. Thanks for your help!
Old 07-27-2010, 09:52 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 84 Likes on 31 Posts

I have a few more hp but the same staggered Bravos on mine. I always go super easy on my drives and try not to over rev them getting out of the hole. I usually leave the drives neutral, tabs tucked in a click or two, ease the throttle up to about 2500 +/-, the props start to slip a little to 3000, I don't let them over rev, they then re-catch and the boat pulls up on to plane. It take a couple extra seconds to get on plane but I never want the drives to spin free and then catch hard. Good recipe for blown drives. By backing off, it reduces the stress of the prop re-biting into the water. It would be like throwing a car into neutral for a second while accelerating, letting the motor rev up and then slamming it back into gear, something eventually would give.

Last edited by Tom A.; 08-02-2010 at 09:16 AM.
Old 07-27-2010, 01:28 PM
Registered

Thanks Tom, thats the way I wanted to do it, this guy just threw me for a loop when he said to let them burn for a few seconds and they would hook up- sounded to me like drives were going to get beat to death. I think one of the issues I am having is I am over-trimming the tabs and drives, raising the stern too early and inducing blowout, going to play around tomorrow with it. Of course the other problem has been the winds have been up so long I have only been able to be on the ICW, with the cops watching me leave and a 25 mph speed limit- tough to go that slow!!
Old 07-27-2010, 02:25 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

The nice thing about the Zr hulls is that even if you take a couple extra seconds to get out of the hole, you will still out accelerate any other v with the same hp once on plane! I have a friend with a 38Zr with the 700's (my 38comp has 700's also) and we always out accelerate the poker run field from 30-80! He and I usually pace the inshore group of boats for the A/C poker run and we set an 80mph speed limit. Funny thing is it takes all the other boats a couple minutes to catch us from a card stop.
Old 07-27-2010, 02:27 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by GoFastScott
I have only been able to be on the ICW, with the cops watching me leave and a 25 mph speed limit- tough to go that slow!!
I can hardly keep mine on plane below 30mph!!!! It is crazy how efficient the hulls are!
Old 07-29-2010, 07:29 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GoFastScott
Hi guys- getting used to my new 38 ZR, have a question for others with a 38- how do you get on plane? I have 525's with ITS, 34p 5 blade Maximus, normally I set the tabs on about 6, drives at 1, give it some gas until the props start to blow out, back off a little then back on the gas. I was told by someone with quite a bit of experience that when they blow out I should just give them a second or two and then power up through it and they'll hook up. I have never heard of this, and didn't think it sounded good for the drives and props. Thanks for your help!
Hey Scott,

I feel your pain. I have 600's with extension boxes and 5 blade herings 34 pitch and I blow out all the time. Seems to work better not pushing too hard on the tabs. I let it run out at about 2300 rpms until it won't go any faster and slowly tweek the throttles up. I had the 5 blade maximus props on my 525 boat and threw a blade and never replaced it.

It takes time but you will get the hang of it.

Good Luck.

Mark
Old 07-29-2010, 08:29 PM
Registered

Had a chance to go out and play yesterday, over-tabbing was definitely my problem. Found out the tabs are neutral on my boat at just under 2 (like 1 3/4), I was used to 4 being neutral, and was setting them at 6 to launch, lol. I launched great with the drivers tucked and the tabs at about 3, didn't have much blowout at all. Boat ran great, ran from Hillsboro to Palm Beach, had lunch at Sailfish Marina, then down to Port Everglades, then back home. Hit 84.6 with a full tank of gas, 3 people (including one scared Mom, who used to think 40 was way too fast to be going on the water), and dead flat seas. The tattletale on the boat read 89 when I bought it, still only has 33 hours, so I am pretty confident I will be able to hit 90 under light load and the right conditions. And it was so calm even my Mom said she had fun and wasn't scared at all, except when i took a big wake at 70 trimmed up and bounced her about 6 inches out of her seat
Old 07-29-2010, 08:33 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Tom A.
I can hardly keep mine on plane below 30mph!!!! It is crazy how efficient the hulls are!
with my drives tucked and tabs down, 28 is as slow as i can go without staring at the sky, hopefully they will spot me a few mph, lol
Old 07-30-2010, 08:02 AM
GK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same issue with my 38ZR with 525's and I hired a former Donzi guy expert who knows the 38ZR. The mods he made to my drives and props immediatly solved the problem. The performance and planning improvement was incredible. If you are uncertin on what to do, I will be happy to get you in touch. Send me a private message.