Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Donzi
Looking for some upgrades for the Mercury 496 >

Looking for some upgrades for the Mercury 496

Notices

Looking for some upgrades for the Mercury 496

Old 03-20-2011, 09:19 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rocky, You live in the area ????? I use my 22 on Lewisville and yes the weekends are hell with all the cruiser traffic I usually go during the week .... I live near Legend and have seen that boat a thousand times, congrats !!!!!!!!
Old 03-20-2011, 04:25 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually I boat up in NY.
Old 03-20-2011, 04:36 PM
Registered

Got It ..... Have fun great looking boat !!!!!!!!
Old 03-21-2011, 01:34 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks, HotSpare.
Old 03-21-2011, 05:11 PM
Registered

Why go thru all the agravation of changing to a 525 when you can super charge the 496 for 7-8 grand?? For me the sound of the blower screaming is far more intence.. With 5-6 lbs of boost you should be making 625-650 hp.
Alot less work and funds left over to buy the drive when the X explodes.

Check out Fullthrottlemarine.com's whipple charger for the 496. I will have one sitting and waiting for install in Aug. 2012 when warranty is up.

Last edited by Sheer Insanity; 03-21-2011 at 05:20 PM.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:02 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sheer Insanity
Why go thru all the agravation of changing to a 525 when you can super charge the 496 for 7-8 grand?? For me the sound of the blower screaming is far more intence.. With 5-6 lbs of boost you should be making 625-650 hp.
Alot less work and funds left over to buy the drive when the X explodes.

Check out Fullthrottlemarine.com's whipple charger for the 496. I will have one sitting and waiting for install in Aug. 2012 when warranty is up.
I have been owned and driven Donzi's for years. One of mine is blown. It works great for my situation. I would take a 525 in a 22 classic over a boosted 496 ANY day. I can list a whole number of reasons.
Old 03-30-2011, 05:26 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by thirdchildhood
I have almost $100,000 into my 22 Classic including the initial cost of the boat.
No offense but that is just CRAZY money to throw at a 22 foot boat!!
Here's a 2002 38 foot Daytona for $78,000 and a full cabin which I would much rather have for alot less money.
--Again, Im just saying what I would have done if I wanted more speed rather than upgrading the power.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifi...o38110-en.html
Old 03-30-2011, 05:47 PM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by Powerquest_Baby!!
No offense but that is just CRAZY money to throw at a 22 foot boat!!
Here's a 2002 38 foot Daytona for $78,000 and a full cabin which I would much rather have for alot less money.
--Again, Im just saying what I would have done if I wanted more speed rather than upgrading the power.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifi...o38110-en.html
You know one thing leads to another. I couldn't find a used 22 Classic that I liked. I found a new one on Pier 57's web site that I really liked a lot. I called Frankie there and got a good deal that included delivery and pick-up and trade-in credit of my old Hydrostream. They also did the financing through my bank. I loved the boat but 73-74 mph just wasn't quite enough for me. After a lot of talking to people I decided to lose the 496 and pick up a low hour used 525 that I found through this site. I reinforced the boat and dropped in the motor and the exhaust tips didn't line up so there went a few more thousand bucks to move the tips and spray the transom and replace the Y pipes for ones that would work with the 525 and let me keep the Q&Q. Of course I needed to reprop so had Brett hook me up with one of his Bravo 1s. The second time out with the new power I blew the Bravo X upper so on went a brand new XR upper that I found on this site. I got an Imco -2" lower on Donzi.net. Then almost 4k for the Zeiger steering and lots of little things like sea strainer, wiring harness, gps, pitot, etc and before you know it I'm close to 100k!! Some guys have even more into these boats . It's crazy money for sure but I deserve it!
Old 04-01-2011, 02:00 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by thirdchildhood
You know one thing leads to another. I couldn't find a used 22 Classic that I liked. I found a new one on Pier 57's web site that I really liked a lot. I called Frankie there and got a good deal that included delivery and pick-up and trade-in credit of my old Hydrostream. They also did the financing through my bank. I loved the boat but 73-74 mph just wasn't quite enough for me. After a lot of talking to people I decided to lose the 496 and pick up a low hour used 525 that I found through this site. I reinforced the boat and dropped in the motor and the exhaust tips didn't line up so there went a few more thousand bucks to move the tips and spray the transom and replace the Y pipes for ones that would work with the 525 and let me keep the Q&Q. Of course I needed to reprop so had Brett hook me up with one of his Bravo 1s. The second time out with the new power I blew the Bravo X upper so on went a brand new XR upper that I found on this site. I got an Imco -2" lower on Donzi.net. Then almost 4k for the Zeiger steering and lots of little things like sea strainer, wiring harness, gps, pitot, etc and before you know it I'm close to 100k!! Some guys have even more into these boats . It's crazy money for sure but I deserve it!
Its amazing how things add up!
Old 04-01-2011, 07:03 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 171 Likes on 86 Posts

Rocky good luck with your boat. They are great boats, you will have lots of fun with it. Definately a drivers boat, but loads of fun after you get some seat time. I have a '95 blackhawk that I wish I could keep, but just bought a bigger boat and cant justify having 2 boats.
Enjoy!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.