38ZR questions >

38ZR questions

Notices

38ZR questions

Old 03-20-2011, 12:14 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 38ZR questions

I'm currently looking into getting either a new Spectre 32' outboard cat or a newish 38ZR and was interested in getting others opinions on both as well as some info on what to expect out of the Donzi.

If I go the Donzi route the boat I'm looking at has 525's with ITS XR drives. From what I'm gathering cruise speed is ~70-72 and top speed is realistically 89 with 90-92 being possible with me only in the boat and running on fumes. Is that correct? Also VERY curious about fuel burn at those speeds. That is one of the things that makes the cat look good, from everything I'm seeing it would cruise at 80 getting just shy of 3mpg doing it and top out at ~106 burning 50 GPH . How much worse is the 38 going to be.

What are the average life spans on both the motors and drives and any idea of ballpark costs to rebuild / maintain them? My impression is the motors and drives should be relatively reliable as long as I don't try to get much more out of the motors but what should I be ready to do to each on a regular basis to keep them up?

I know the ZR should handle rough water but how susceptible is it to spider cracks and are there any other things I should look out for or make sure to check on any boat I look at?

I live the the Virginia Beach area so will be doing most of my boating on the Chesapeake Bay and those areas but will be around the VB oceanfront area as well so are there conditions that I should avoid or are either boat big enough to not really care about a decent swell? How is the ZR going to do compared to the cat at taking seas at the quarters or beam or should that be avoided in both? I'm sure there will be a couple more questions and I really appreciate all responses. I'll be making my decision REALLY soon so that I will be ready to go with either before the season really starts here.

Either way I go I look forward to meeting as many people as possible from the boards this summer.

TIA
Old 03-20-2011, 02:58 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

edited for content

Last edited by Sydwayz; 03-21-2011 at 11:57 PM.
Old 03-20-2011, 03:29 PM
Registered

Thanks for the reply, it looks like a nice boat but to be honest would rather not buy one that has been local, it'll forever be x's old boat...

Really interested in the fuel consumption on that motor combo though, any idea? Also recommended service requirements and longevity.

Thanks
Old 03-21-2011, 06:35 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

38ZR is a great boat, handles rough water pretty good, especially swells. The 525 is a good motor as long as your headers don't leak. make sure to have them checked out closely. Have them pressure tested for leaks if you can. They can cause lots of headaches. I never paid much attention to fuel consumption, you will burn a bunch! 525 should be good with routine maintenance for about 350-400 hrs then a top end rebuild will cost about $5k. Did my 600's last year.

Good Luck, hope this helps.
Old 03-21-2011, 11:54 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by mlb75
Thanks for the reply, it looks like a nice boat but to be honest would rather not buy one that has been local, it'll forever be x's old boat...

Really interested in the fuel consumption on that motor combo though, any idea? Also recommended service requirements and longevity.

Thanks
Fair enough. I didn't notice this was in the Donzi section when I posted. The boat belongs to a good friend who wants to move to a CC. (I've got nothing to do with it's sale.)

Good luck with your search!!

Fuel consumption? Pfft!! What a depressing topic.
525s? Change the oil every 25 hours, open/inspect the drives once a season, and rotate them at that time; and go boating! They should run for 500 hours or more. (There's more to it than that, but they are pretty awesome powerplants.)
Old 03-22-2011, 08:38 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Fair enough. I didn't notice this was in the Donzi section when I posted. The boat belongs to a good friend who wants to move to a CC. (I've got nothing to do with it's sale.)

Good luck with your search!!

Fuel consumption? Pfft!! What a depressing topic.
525s? Change the oil every 25 hours, open/inspect the drives once a season, and rotate them at that time; and go boating! They should run for 500 hours or more. (There's more to it than that, but they are pretty awesome powerplants.)
Hey Sydwayz, FYI

I tried swapping my XR drives last year and promptly wrecked both of them. Drive tech explained why, Driven gear is worn from driving forward gear for ??? hours, switching the drives now puts your worn driven gear up against your previous reverse gear which is not worn. This is bad news. Switching the drives only works if you do it every couple hours like the race boats do, otherwise starts problems.

Maybe you had better luck than I did!)
Old 03-22-2011, 09:49 PM
GK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm a former Donzi 38ZR 525 owner... Awesome boat. Expect 88-89 mph if propped correctly in freshwater. My boat was 2 yrs old and I replaced a leaking header and blew one XR drive.

Now a cat owner and it's a different world. Cruise effortlessly at 100 mph and top end is amazing. It would be difficult to go back to a V hull.
Old 03-25-2011, 08:10 AM
Registered

Thanks for the input I think I'm going to go the cat route. The Donzi is a great boat and it was a close decision but the speed and operating costs of the outboard cat just look to good.
Old 03-25-2011, 06:51 PM
GK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

That a boy!
Old 03-26-2011, 11:37 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 84 Likes on 31 Posts

Cats are great but I am a V man. I like the deeper cockpit and more planted feel of a V. Yes it is slower but for me better all around. It is hard to compare a 38Zr to a 32 Cat. There have been many a rough day where I walked past a 32 cat at 80mph. A bigger cat is a different story and will always be faster. Also, think about if you plan on trailering with it. Wide load permits and such.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.