38 ZR hatch leaks >

38 ZR hatch leaks

Notices

38 ZR hatch leaks

Old 10-25-2012, 01:22 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 38 ZR hatch leaks

Leaky cabin hatchs on a 38 ZR. Anybody have any success with weather stripping types??

Thank you
Old 10-26-2012, 12:55 PM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

dumb question but are you sure it's leaking? There should be a fairly decent sized gutter that runs around it that the water should flow into so even with a crappy seal it shouldn't really leak.

Water on the top of it though, if you open it, will wash in.
Old 10-26-2012, 03:19 PM
Registered

there are gutters but the design depends on a weather stripping, and the latch is not the greatest. A better seal with maybe a differnt latch system (tighter) could work. Thought someone may have a fix.
Old 12-16-2012, 01:43 PM
Registered

Oh, I could go on about this forever: mine leak with no warning. Just one day you open the door and the cabin is full of water and everything is soaked from a hatch leak. VettLT193 is right - it should drain away, but that is if the bow is up slightly. If your bow is flat, like the boat is on a flat lift, or if the boat is on a trailer parked slightly down-hill - - the water lays in the trough and the level rises and rises until it sneaks around the seal and into the cabin. I'll give you all my tricks so far, but - - none of them have really worked. See the posts below.
Old 12-16-2012, 01:51 PM
Registered

Trick #1 - After washing the boat, I slide a 3/8" dia plastic tube up the drain trough and siphon the water out. It works until the next rain.
Trick #2 - For winter storage, tape the hatch shut with blue painters tape. The tape is just good enough to deflect water from indoor events, but not good enough for outdoor elements. Stick the tape to your shirt first to reduce the adhesion.
Trick #3 - Keep your boat pitched up in the bow if you can. The more the better. Like bow 15" higher than stern.
Trick #4 - Fix the seal on the hatch. I've tried a number of tricks with sealers, and caulks, etc, but nothing works well so far.
Trick #5 - Close the hatch, then step on it from above to press it down. The hatch is too big for the hull and does not come down well, or evenly, or completely.
Sorry, my girlfriend just caught me doing this instead of helping her clean my fridge, so I gotta go now. Back later.
Old 12-25-2012, 02:00 PM
Registered

Thanks for the ideas

I agree the stiffness of the hatch is not enough for the latch system. My problems are not storage but if i get caught driving in the rain, or....

Also, the weather seal can stick after time and strips out of the dove tail grove and is a b@tch to deal with.

I am thinking of stiffening the hatch, or making an aluminum or stiffer fiberglass hatch and 4 swing bolts or something to pull it down firmer.

thanks for the reply, if is come up with a good fix i will post it.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:41 PM
Registered

You're right on the dove-tail groove - what a mess. I really want this problem fixed, and fixed for good, so I think I'm going to remove the hatches, take them to a woodworking guy, and have him route the edges so the whole thing is 1/4" smaller in width and length. Then, have him route in a quality groove around it in place of the dove-tail groove for me to stick and silicone a large diameter (like 3/8") o-ring into. I did this trick to my intake manifold on my hotrod engine - and it worked!! Stay tuned - I'll letcha know how I make out.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:17 PM
Registered

Received 128 Likes on 51 Posts

35 ZR we looked at today...cabin was wet too from the hatches and it had rained....bow was lower then stern as well :-/
Old 01-13-2013, 11:45 AM
Registered

I'm thinking that some shrink wrap tape might do the trick during storage or travel
Old 01-14-2013, 09:58 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by RumBlur
You're right on the dove-tail groove - what a mess. I really want this problem fixed, and fixed for good, so I think I'm going to remove the hatches, take them to a woodworking guy, and have him route the edges so the whole thing is 1/4" smaller in width and length. Then, have him route in a quality groove around it in place of the dove-tail groove for me to stick and silicone a large diameter (like 3/8") o-ring into. I did this trick to my intake manifold on my hotrod engine - and it worked!! Stay tuned - I'll letcha know how I make out.
What kind of seal? I think number 8 on the link would work good if you can figure how to mount it. i was thinking of a new hatch with a downward edge and an edge seal, but re-grooving is a good idea.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#bulb-seals/=l1g6pe "number 8 under bulb seals"

Last edited by still thirsty; 01-14-2013 at 10:04 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.